AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5year old Panasonic plasma is doing the 4-blink power-out problem (picture is still great), so I'm looking for a new 55" TV .

I've read and looked around a bit and want to consider LCD because of its greater light output (I have a bright room). BUT, I can't get over the off-angle viewing problem. From what I've seen in stores, you get stunning pictures when viewed directly head-on; but go off-angle a bit and it's not the same picture.

So,

- If money is not an issue, which LCD brand/model is best for off-angle viewng? Consumer Reports says LG, but many of you doesn't agree.

- For the past two years, has the LCD technology improved on off-angle viewing? Did they use any new technology to improve on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
TOP led-lcd's sony46/55xbr8,samsung8500 have much better PQ that ccfl-lcd's,led-lcd's have more off-angle problems than ccfl-lcd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just my reasons:

1. Dont wanna re arrange my living room to accomodate a plasma (I dont wanna see my lamps, table, Mac, chairs, vases, etc. on my screen).

2. Better for the environment

3. Lighter

4. Don't want to deal with image retention (yes, plasmas still get ir. Don't buy into the hype).

All this said, it's amatter of preference and those listed above were key in my decision. I know about the superiority of plasmas when it comes to montion, deeper blacks, etc, etc. Im not a plasma hater by any means. Just different strokes for different folks. Both have pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
LG and Panasonic LCD's often have the best viewing angles due to the use of IPS panels in them.

no LCD can compare to the viewing angles of a plasma, they are pretty good on many model's these days but no matter what plasma will always be superior to LCD in this aspect due to the design of both display types

·
Registered
8,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18256215

LG and Panasonic LCD's often have the best viewing angles due to the use of IPS panels in them.

no LCD can compare to the viewing angles of a plasma, they are pretty good on many model's these days but no matter what plasma will always be superior to LCD in this aspect due to the design of both display types

Off-angle viewing on my Sony ccfl 40xbr5 looks ok, i do not really see big problems,off-angle viewing on my Sony rgb-led 46xbr8 really sucks(most people would not notice,determine for yourself if off-angle performance is anoying).

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamploner /forum/post/18254973

My 5year old Panasonic plasma is doing the 4-blink power-out problem (picture is still great), so I'm looking for a new 55" TV .

I've read and looked around a bit and want to consider LCD because of its greater light output (I have a bright room). BUT, I can't get over the off-angle viewing problem. From what I've seen in stores, you get stunning pictures when viewed directly head-on; but go off-angle a bit and it's not the same picture.

So,

- If money is not an issue, which LCD brand/model is best for off-angle viewng? Consumer Reports says LG, but many of you doesn't agree.

- For the past two years, has the LCD technology improved on off-angle viewing? Did they use any new technology to improve on this?

Thanks.

Actually, according to Consumer Reports the best 55 inch LCDs (that they have tested) for viewing angle are:

LG55LH90

Toshiba 55ZV650U

Vizio VF550M

LG55LH40

And, the more than 130 LCDs and Plasmas tested by CR were all tested under the exact same conditions, unlike the anecdotal stories you find on this forum, sometimes from self-proclaimed experts on everything to do with TVs, and sometimes from people who have nothing scientific to compare viewing angle to but offer up their limited experience as if it speaks to how different models from different companies compare in viewing angle.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18256215

Since Panasonic makes no LCD larger than 37 inches what does Panasonic have to do with the OPs question? Furthermore, the OP asked exactly nothing about plasma since he already has one and knows how plasma does with off angle viewing.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18256616

Since Panasonic makes no LCD larger than 37 inches what does Panasonic have to do with the OPs question? Furthermore, the OP asked exactly nothing about plasma since he already has one and knows how plasma does with off angle viewing.

I was just stating the cold hard truth of the matter as viewing angles are a major concern of his, I don't care if you have a problem with it and let's not start a plasma vs lcd war

By the way I agree with your recommendations on lcd's and you know why they perform the same?

They all use LG IPS panels is why

Mind stating the downside to them for him because they do have one

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18256745

I was just stating the cold hard truth of the matter as viewing angles are a major concern of his, I don't care if you have a problem with it and let's not start a plasma vs lcd war

By the way I agree with your recommendations on lcd's and you know why they perform the same?

They all use LG IPS panels is why

Mind stating the downside to them for him because they do have one

Your "cold hard truth" about 32 and 37 inch Panasonic LCD has nothing to do with the OP's question about 55 inch LCDs. Just keep highjacking threads with irrelevant plugs for 720P plasma

I could care less what you agree with or don't agree with.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
It is always best to position your eyes in the middle of the screen,i would not enjoy watching a movie off angle on a lcd or a plasma

,in my opinion off angle performance is only important for familys.

I would only buy a tv than performes well in a lot of areas,make a list an go see for yourself.

It is really strange that plasmaboy Frito spends a lot of time in the lcd section,.is he he a closet lcdboy?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/18256932

It is always best to position your eyes in the middle of the screen,i would not enjoy watching a movie off angle on a lcd or a plasma

,in my opinion off angle performance is only important for familys.

I would only buy a tv than performes well in a lot of areas,make a list an go see for yourself.

It is really strange that plasmaboy Frito spends a lot of time in the lcd section,.is he he a closet lcdboy?

Yeah, how bout that 720P plasma fanboi
highjacking every LCD thread he can find. He likes to brag about buying 4 TVs in the last year. But he returned the larger Toshiba LCD and now there's no stopping him from highjacking every LCD thread to plug his precious 720P plasma.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please, this is not an LCD vs. Plasma thread. I'm fully aware of the pros & cons of each technology, I don't need a lecture on that. I just want to know the best 55" LCD on the criteria "viewing angle", in your opinion. Viewing angle is very important to me because I watch TV from many spots in the family room; I do have a family.

Since most new, top-line LCD's are lighted with LED, does that make them inferior to older CCFL, as far as viewing angle is concerned?

·
Registered
505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamploner /forum/post/18257051

Please, this is not an LCD vs. Plasma thread.

Actually I think this is a LCD vs. Plasma thread.. You specifically labeled it "Convince me to buy LCD" and then state you own a plasma. I assumed you wanted a comparison of LCD vs. Plasma.

You should have said "What is the best best 55" LCD" if that is what you wanted. There are numerous threads on that subject already and you should have just done some searching and reading.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
In my nearly 2,000 posts on this Forum, I've NEVER ONCE gone over to the plasma "thingy" for any reason, let alone to say how much better LCD is over plasma. Some things are just obvious.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18256587

Actually, according to Consumer Reports the best 55 inch LCDs (that they have tested) for viewing angle are:

LG55LH90

Toshiba 55ZV650U

Vizio VF550M

LG55LH40

And, the more than 130 LCDs and Plasmas tested by CR were all tested under the exact same conditions, unlike the anecdotal stories you find on this forum, sometimes from self-proclaimed experts on everything to do with TVs, and sometimes from people who have nothing scientific to compare viewing angle to but offer up their limited experience as if it speaks to how different models from different companies compare in viewing angle.

Do you think there is something I left out as far as recommendations?

But to answer your question, out of the 4 TVs I listed, the first 2 are LED, while the second 2 are CCFL.

Each technology is capable of a better viewing angle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 /forum/post/18257129

Actually I think this is a LCD vs. Plasma thread.. You specifically labeled it "Convince me to buy LCD" and then state you own a plasma. I assumed you wanted a comparison of LCD vs. Plasma.

You should have said "What is the best best 55" LCD" if that is what you wanted. There are numerous threads on that subject already and you should have just done some searching and reading.

OK, let me rephrase,

"What is the best 55" LCD, with regards to viewing angle?"

Can you point me to a thread that compares the many LCD models.

No, I'm not looking for comparison of LCD & plasma; that will not answer my question.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamploner /forum/post/18254973

CR is correct. The LG panels are IPS, they have superior viewing angles, but generally have weaker black. Comments to the contrary to don't have the consistent testing and examination of many sets under their belt. Also those claiming PVA/VMA panels are better might be looking only at black so weaker black may looks worse off angle despite having better viewing angles.

Quote:

Not really. If you are really need to watch it from strong divergent viewing angles, LCD probably will not satisfy.

If I was getting another LCD right now, I think the LG 55LH90 would be a good combination. You get the IPS (best for LCD) viewing angles and you get local dimming to mitigate the weaker IPS blacks. The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamploner /forum/post/18257051

Please, this is not an LCD vs. Plasma thread. I'm fully aware of the pros & cons of each technology, I don't need a lecture on that. I just want to know the best 55" LCD on the criteria "viewing angle", in your opinion. Viewing angle is very important to me because I watch TV from many spots in the family room; I do have a family.

Since most new, top-line LCD's are lighted with LED, does that make them inferior to older CCFL, as far as viewing angle is concerned?

exactly why i told Spyboy not to turn this into a Plasma vs LCD thread

I was simply stating that no LCD in existence can compare to plasma's never changing viewing angles period to make sure you're aware of it

as Spyboy said

LG 55LH90 and Vizio 55XVT LED backlit models have the best overall horizontal viewing angles, vertical angles are a different story and not as good.

these models are the best because they employ local dimming and can still achieve good black levels but their blacks are not as good as other LCD local dimming models that have worse viewing angles like the Samsung B8500

best of luck with your search and really you should go out to stores and view these TV's for yourself to determine if its good enough for you, rather than listen to the regulars around here hate on other peoples opinions and/or facts because they differ from their own.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think a significant factor is as mentioned, the intended viewing environment.

When I examined the various sets in the retail stores, generally the plasmas looked a bit washed out and dim, and I found myself moving around to get a clear view of the image, due to all the reflections. I read that the retail environment is not typical of home environment, and that plasmas look much better in darkened rooms. Problem is - my living room is very much like the retail environment. Very bright with windows all over and various lamps etc. It is a multi-use room, and we are not going to be pulling the curtains or messing with lights to watch television.

I purchased an LCD (since returned due to a buzzing issue), and most of the time we had it cranked to full backlight output. I tried turning the backlight down during the day, but the image was too dim. For this reason, I think plasma might be too dim for certain viewing environments, or envs with a lot of reflection potential. For people who have the dedicated viewing "cave" so to speak, perhaps plasma is the way to go.

Other issue, perhaps not as significant but still a concern, is IR. Seems like even though IR is supposedly not a problem anymore, I notice many owners of plasmas are still going through various break-in procedures, sometimes quite elaborate. There must be some reason for this. I have two young kids who will be using the TV for various video games and also PC display. I don't want to fiddle with break-in procedures, or have any worry if they accidently leave the TV on with stationary image for half the day.

Mainly for the above reasons I am looking at LCD. But some friends have plasmas and swear by them as well, so who knows

·
Registered
8,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18257374

exactly why i told Spyboy not to turn this into a Plasma vs LCD thread

I was simply stating that no LCD in existence can compare to plasma's never changing viewing angles period to make sure you're aware of it

as Spyboy said

LG 55LH90 and Vizio 55XVT LED backlit models have the best overall horizontal viewing angles, vertical angles are a different story and not as good.

these models are the best because they employ local dimming and can still achieve good black levels but their blacks are not as good as other LCD local dimming models that have worse viewing angles like the Samsung B8500

best of luck with your search and really you should go out to stores and view these TV's for yourself to determine if its good enough for you, rather than listen to the regulars around here hate on other peoples opinions and/or facts because they differ from their own.

I read several posts of you,you tend to be to negative when it comes to

lcd and you seem to see no negative points what so ever when it comes to plasma technology.

It is clear to me that you are a plasmaboy,speaking your mind in the lcd-section is asking for problems.

You should try to be neutral when you are in the lcd thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts