AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
convince me to sell my in-ceiling speakers and go with something else

i have 5 sonance virtuoso 833dr speakers, these puppies are 3-way and not cheap. here are the specs

Specifications

ConstructionGraphite reinforced ABS (GRABS) woofer basket reduces resonances.FeatureNew FastMount® tabs hold speaker in place during installation allowing for easier install.Tweeter1" (25mm) pivoting silk dome, ferrofluid cooledMidrange4" (102mm) pivoting carbon fiber cone with rubber surroundWoofer8" (203mm) pivoting carbon fiber cone with rubber surroundFrequency Response32Hz - 20kHz ±3dBImpedance6 ohms nominal; 4 ohms minimumPower Handling5 watts minimum; 150 watts maximumSensitivity91dB (2.83V/1 meter)AdjustmentsTweeter and midrange level ±3dBOptional EnclosuresOptional retrofit enclosures reduce sound spillover from rear of speaker into adjacent spaces.Grille MaterialPerforated aluminumDimensions

Diameter x Depth11 1/4" x 6" (286mm x 152mm)Cutout Diameter10 1/8" (257mm)Shipping Weight20lbs (9kg) pair

my room layout is not typical, hoping these might perform well in my room:

very low ceiling 7 feet

drop ceiling with mdf wood panels

small room 14x11

wood panelling on the walls

i chose in-ceilings because the room is small, but i made sure to get high quality, i def cannot do floorstanding in this room, but i could be convinced to do on-wall speakers. these sonance speakers sound really nice, esp being 3-way with high sensitivity. what could i do on-wall that would really jam and make me sell these in-ceilings? once i install them they aint new anymore, so if im gonna sell them, i want to sell them now. thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
FWIW, I would not have all in-ceiling speakers under any conditions. I'd rather HTIB!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Besides the obvious advantage of the on-walls having a better enclosure than any in-ceiling, there is the factor that a good set of on-walls will look beautiful. There are two brands that IMO make the best looking on-walls, and have the sound to back up their price and name. Vienna Acoustics, and Martin Logan.

Check them out at their respective websites (be advised that Vienna's site is a pain in the rear), check their spec's, check their looks, and see why they are better than your in-ceilings, that probably were more expensive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these speakers retail for $800 each, and i have heard their quality. it is hard for me to believe that these speakers are going to sound bad once installed. ceiling speakers tend to have larger drivers due to the space available behind the drywall, so i would imagine these would sound better then the in walls, outside of the positioning to the ear of course. the drivers do tilt so they can be directed at the seating position.

i am sure they will not sound as good as floorstanding speakers, but with the quality make up of these speakers, and ratings, it is hard for me to believe that they will sound bad. they might not work well in a large room, but my room is small, and there is wood everywhere, lol.

i am sure there are some on wall speakers that would sound better at the same price range. what would you guys recommend for on walls with my rooms dimensions? i love loud music, but want clarity at high volume. i would consider going with a 7.1 set up as well. based on what everyone says about in ceiling speakers, i would love to be convinced to go with some nice on wall speakers.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
The problem with in-ceiling speakers is their position. With them, sounds tend to localize above the screen and above the listeners. I find that annoying and distracting. Theil makes an in-ceiling which minimizes these effects to some degree but you really want the sound sources to be at ear/eye level (or, at least, seem to be).

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
look at Mirage Omnican ceiling speakers. Their sound distribution cone helps redirect the sound from a "down firing" situation to a more horizontally distributed soundfield.

Have you considered mounting your in-ceiling speakers as in-wall speakers ? Granted in-wall units are usually rectangular, but there is no rule that the round in-ceiling speakers could not be used in a horizontal in-wall mounting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont think i could deal with round speakers in the walls, and i do not have the ideal set up for in walls.

i can see some nice on walls here in the forums, but my center needs to be wall mounted as well, and it will be below a 46xbr4. i do not want a huge monster mounted on the wall here. hoping to find something better than the mythos line for this application.

any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts