AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple year old Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD that I bought new when they announced Pioneer was going to stop making them, but lately I've been getting the itch to maybe see a 60" display in my living room. It's certainly not absolutely necessary (~6 - 10 foot viewing distances), but as they say, I guess bigger is better. The larger size and thinner bezel of the newer plasmas is very attractive, but I'm not willing to take a step back PQ wise. I've seen some folks suggest the Panasonic 60GT30, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on if this can provide KURO-quality images; the guys at one of my local AV shops seem to have their doubts. I've demoed some nice new panels, but without being able to A/B, it's really tough.

What say you, AVS? Should I keep my current panel and look to upgrade my receiver instead (which it could definitely use), or is there something out there that'll make me as happy as my KURO has?

For what it's worth, the Pio has never so much as hiccuped...so it's a "perfect" panel in my estimation as far as quality/reliability/stray pixels, etc.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I think you answered your own question sir.

Jumping to a current plasma flat panel field will be a step back for sure. Sad truth... seeing that the Kuro panels are about 2-3 years old now? Sucks seeing displays with all the 2011 goodies of flatness and spiffy glasses but armed with PQ from 2007. The flat screens today should be destroying a Pioneer Kuro... but it's not even close. (I remember for a stretch where every year was an awesome upgrade... do you guys?)

Suggestion? Upgrade when this 3D craze is over... if it ever comes I guess.

·
Registered
744 Posts
" Convince me to replace my 9G Kuro" ....... NO!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez /forum/post/20887819

I think you answered your own question sir.

Jumping to a current plasma flat panel field will be a step back for sure. Sad truth... seeing that the Kuro panels are about 2-3 years old now? Sucks seeing displays with all the 2011 goodies of flatness and spiffy glasses but armed with PQ from 2007. The flat screens today should be destroying a Pioneer Kuro... but it's not even close. (I remember for a stretch where every year was an awesome upgrade... do you guys?)

Suggestion? Upgrade when this 3D craze is over... if it ever comes I guess.

Leaning that way...my buddy just got a 55" Sammy LED and it's thin bezel is just visually arresting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman /forum/post/20888619

" Convince me to replace my 9G Kuro" ....... NO!

Haha, point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/20888759

You could upgrade your 5020 by adding the Elite board, opening up all types of picture adjustments.

Thought about that. I had initially passed on paying another $600 for the Elite over my 9G, and I think that's probably still a solid choice rather than investing more in my current panel.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I am thinking about replacing my 5020 Kuro for a bigger plasma. This is a bedroom set, and i would like a 60", as the 65" VT30 is too big, and going from my 50" Kuro to a 55" VT30 is not much of a jump up. Maybe the new 60" Elite sharp? Someone wants to pay me $1800 for my 5020. The question is, do give up my perfect working Kuro and take a chance on a not so perfect plasma, or do i hang onto my Kuro?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. /forum/post/20887690

I have a couple year old Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD that I bought new when they announced Pioneer was going to stop making them, but lately I've been getting the itch to maybe see a 60" display in my living room. It's certainly not absolutely necessary (~6 - 10 foot viewing distances), but as they say, I guess bigger is better. The larger size and thinner bezel of the newer plasmas is very attractive, but I'm not willing to take a step back PQ wise. I've seen some folks suggest the Panasonic 60GT30, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on if this can provide KURO-quality images; the guys at one of my local AV shops seem to have their doubts. I've demoed some nice new panels, but without being able to A/B, it's really tough.

What say you, AVS? Should I keep my current panel and look to upgrade my receiver instead (which it could definitely use), or is there something out there that'll make me as happy as my KURO has?

For what it's worth, the Pio has never so much as hiccuped...so it's a "perfect" panel in my estimation as far as quality/reliability/stray pixels, etc.

Put the upgrading gun down and go back to the Pioneer

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Maybe the vaunted VX300 (a tv we still don't know anything about other than some first hand accounts by Robert)? Or a PF30U. Those are the Panasonics that probably are/will be top of the heap. Likely to have no problems v. the consumer line.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The Pioneer is complete rubbish. Sell it to me for $100 and buy a larger set. I'll even throw in $200 for shipping.

Seriously, feel good about the fact that a set you bought 3+ years ago still is at the top of its A-game.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow /forum/post/20894870

If you're serious about getting a bigger plasma, then at least honor the KURO by getting a massive 68" TV; because if size is the main reason for ditching the 5020 - then it had better be a big reason!

Don't know of any 68" Plasma's being made.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow /forum/post/20894870

If you're serious about getting a bigger plasma, then at least honor the KURO by getting a massive 68" TV; because if size is the main reason for ditching the 5020 - then it had better be a big reason!

Then it's a whole 'nother stand and mount and everything!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.