AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and son saw HD sets and programs today.Demo loops of CBS shows,HawaiiOpen,Discoverychannel.Not impressed.Comments of 10%-15% better than 20inch tv at home. Bigger but not really much clearer.Could they be right? Maybe HD makes large sets better and thats it.There must be more to HD than that I hope. I must admit the 20inch tv has put doubts about it being that much less in picture quality than HD. Comments?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quinton,

You stated better then the 20 inch tv at home, where did you see the HDTV's?

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
730 Posts
What you need to do is have a Good HDTV with HBO-HD available and switch between 16:9 HBO-HD and 4:3 HBO-East. The difference is more than 10-15% but it is not astounding. The SD version looks like my contacts are all blurry.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Most HDTV's on display in stores are not set up properly.

If you were to alternate looking at an HDTV image and NTSC image, on the same size screen, big or small, you will see the difference.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toshiba5: The demo loop was at Best Buy. I was not able to convince family HD is better than our 20 inch set.A Sony set was hooked up correctly to the loop,they thought it looked slightly better than 20 inch set.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When you state "hooked up correctly" does that refer to component video cables? If you are looking to convince them, you may want to try another store with some display units, probably a audio/video store that will be using quality interconnects and have the set tuned in correctly. Not too say that what you saw was not correct, but if it was stated it only looks 10-15% better then your analog 20inch TV, there is something wrong with it.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with Ken--go to a high end store and see what it is really like--it will sure "blow away" any 20" TV, not just 10-15%, but 4-5 times more detailed and colors are vibrant. There is no comparison whatsoever on a properly set up system.

------------------

"H" Hord "Savor the Moment"

B&K AVR 307

Toshiba 9200 DVD Player

Def Tech BP2000TL Mains

Def Tech C/L/R3000 Center

Def Tech BP2004TL Sides

Def Tech Pro 200 Rears

Dish Echo Star 6000 HD

Pioneer Elite 64" RPTV

·
Registered
466 Posts
Most of the Best Buy’s that I have gone to in the DFW area show HDTV demo loops (HBO-HD) off a DVD player. Thus people aren't impressed. If the same demo was playing on all the TV’s in the store, there a really good chance what you were seeing wasn’t High Definition.

------------------

Marque Dailey

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Many Sony and Toshiba RPTV's produce a very soft HDTV picture, just slightly above DVD quality, prior to tweaking. All direct view sets also have wimpy resolution, though superior contrast and sharpness. Try looking HD on a Pioneer, Philips, or a top of the line Mitsubishi RPTV. Many Sears have a Mitsubishi RPTV set up in a separate viewing room with a HD picture that should impress.

I too was disappointed with the HD pictures I saw at Best Buy, compared to my set at home. Amidst the sea of Toshiba and Hitachi RPTV's, the best-looking HD I saw there was probably the RCA MM38310, which had excellent contrast that produced an almost surreal 3D effect, but I thought it had weak color (hard to tell in the store, but a shadow mask direct view *should* have weak color.) My set at home and the Mitsubishis I've seen at Sears and Ultimate Electronics produce a more detailed, colorful, and film-like image, though much less of a 3D effect.

It's really hard to go into a store and judge the picture on RPTV's. You almost always have to converge them yourself, and the feeds are often either poor quality to start with or poor quality after getting split and resplit all over the store. Again, I suggest going to multiple Sears until you find one with a nice Mitsu viewing room and then take your wife and kid. (Hurry before Sears trades out the Mitsu's for Samsungs for the CBS college football deal!) Also, some Best Buy stores have the latest Philips 4:3 RPTV showing HD, and I've heard it looks good on HD. You could also try a high end store that carries Pioneer Elite.

High quality HD on a high quality set will make your jaw drop. You will be transfixed.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's not hard for a 20 inch display to look "clear", even with a mediocre source. That's due to the fact you're probably sitting 8-9X picture height away from a screen that size. Get as close to it as you were to the HD big screens, 3-4X picture height, and the 20 incher will start to look alot worse in comparison (this assumes you really were looking at an HD picture).

The whole intent of HDTV was to allow the picture to fill a wider field of view in your eyes, with enough resolution that there were no visible artifact at that distance. In other words, the goal was to transform TV from what Marshall McLuhan called a "cool" medium, into what he called a "hot" medium such as the cinema, as much more engaging experience.

if you plan on sitting, proportionally, so far away from the picture that it's beyond the eye's visual actuity to pick out the increased resolution, then, yes, HDTV is not that compelling.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
First go to a store that has true HD displaying;

GoodGuys, and watch the Baseball on tuesday on channel 199 then see what you family has to say.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We've had Dish network HDTV for about 3 months now - with HD HBO, Showtime, demo channel, and have watched 2 HD pay movies - hooked up to a 34" widescreen Panasonic upstairs for daylight viewing, and another for a 65" widescreen Toshiba RPTV for downstairs home theater viewing - and I've concluded that most people really don't care about the extra HD quality. I certainly care, myself, because I'm the TV nut in the house, but my partner will just as soon watch the regular HBO channel 300 when he could easily switch over to the crisp widescreen HD version on channel 9440, but he doesn't. He's satisifed with the regular channel, and shows very little interest in HD at all (he humors me about my interest but doesn't understand what the big deal is). Friends and neighbors will occasionally say "that picture looks really sharp" but I don't sense any "wow" factor, and some of these HDTV pictures are WOW to me. I'm beginning to wonder if HDTV will ever get beyond a niche market because I seem to be the only one I know personally who cares about quality. Everyone else seems satisfied not only with regular TV pictures but even to watch really terrible picture quality. "It's just TV" is a comment I've heard more than once.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I tend to agree with Alan. I just had a wedding at my house and there were 99 guests. All of them at one point or another peered into the media room for a time but only a handful seemed truly mesmorized by even the high quality demo loops for example from either Dish or Evu. To most of them I think, it was still..only television.

------------------

Dan

Knowledge without experience is only information...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I usually put in the Dish demo channel for visitors. I don't think anyone has not been "wow'd". The wildlife scenes seem to consistantly impress everyone. Frankly, this has surprised me.

That said, however, few of them have said, "I've got to get a setup like this". Reasons, I think are:

-- They assume it's too complicated for them configure. They assume I could do it only because I'm an engineer. Given the current state of the industry, there's alot of truth to this. In fact, the only visitor I remember expressing interest in getting HD himself was another engineer; we tend to embrace rather than be put off by technical challenges.

-- Most don't want to assign a room where the only, or the dominant activity, is HDTV.

-- It's just TV.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
If the picture quality doesn't look at LEAST twice as good and probably more, than you know one of the following is occurrring: a)the broadcast material is not TRUE HD b)the broadcast is true HD but through the lame setup of many dealers, they are using "S" video or even composite hookups which can not provide HD resolution c)the HDTVs are hopelessy out of whack and can not display anything near true HD until they receive a calibration (or at least a decent convergence job).

Any well setup, properly fed HDTV with good HD material, will BLOW AWAY a standard resolution TV. Try going to a high end audio/video dealer. These guys will often have a nicely setup display which should help you see the "true picture". Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.