AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently blown a tweeter in my Polk r50's. Not sure how as they don't really get played all that loud. I've done some reading around and looks like this particular speaker suffers from an inferior tweeter. I'm hesitant to replace it with the same model due to the higher than normal failure rate on them.

I'm currently running a Harman/kardon AVR 125, and don't believe it's the amp that is a problem as this is the first pair of speakers that I've ever had issues with.

Does anybody have any experience with them, or have a suggestion on what would be suitable replacement. I'll be replace both to keep them matched.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
call Polk customer support, and if they are still under warranty, get a new tweeter.

I don't know where the "inferior tweeter" stuff came from, but you can not believe everything you read on the web.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sound from them. I've just seen a quantity of posts, about this particular model and having the tweeters fail. They do look rather small in comparison to other models. My Paradigm Titan's have a much larger magnet in them, and have temporarily installed one but they sound too harsh with the Polks. I don't believe they are under warranty anymore hense why I'm looking into replacements.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had a pair of R30's and R15's, same tweeters. They are smaller because these uses 3/4" tweeters instead of 1", and they are soft domes.

One of the tweeters blew out on my R30 a few years ago because we had the karaoke running really loud haha, but I don't think there's anything defective about the design.

Edit: Polk shipped me a new one after getting the invoice from me through email, very very very fast customer service.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where do you live. I have 1 R50 I use as a drink coaster/telephone stand. I used it for 1 day then I found AVS forums.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm up in British Columbia.

So should I just contact Polk and get a single replacement or go with 2 just to make sure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts