AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Unless you have a gridle under there, I doubt you will be much cooking. The sub could help with the scrambling part.

I recommend PAM no stick spray too.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been done before. Sonic waves heat the egg sorta like a microwave just different frequencies.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 /forum/post/12888274

Been done before. Sonic waves heat the egg sorta like a microwave just different frequencies.

Ahhh, I don't think so. Microwaves are small enough to excite (spin) water molecules in food. Nothing coming out a of a subwoofer is going to heat anything up unless you can use the voice coil somehow.

If that were the case most of the members homes would be ashes.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 /forum/post/12888121

How long does it take you to cook an egg under your downfiring sub?

My old Rockford Fosgate car amp running 2 ohms bridged would be about 5 minutes.

I've never heard of it under a downfiring sub.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/12888417

My old Rockford Fosgate car amp running 2 ohms bridged would be about 5 minutes.
Been there, done that. Or the power leads from the too small feed wire, ahh those were the days.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured it would be easier to test under a downfiring sub unless you wanted to hold one in your hand next to a front firing sub. Sounds like something to get my brother in law to help with ha ha. I don't have a downfiring sub.

Gotta get the egg very close to the speaker, add power and wait.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Bob, what exactly makes you think that it would cook anything?

How would people use subwoofers in their homes and cars if they were pumping out 250 degrees or more of heat? I mean the VCs can get VERY hot but that does not come out of the front of the driver in some kind of heat wave.

Of course, I don't know at what temperature eggs actually fry, but it has to be pretty darn hot. People would be getting severe burns....

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Cooking with a sub driver,you will fry the voice coil long before enough heat is radiated by the cone(even alu cones)to cook or fry much at all.

For those who do not know the voice coil in many of today's sub drivers has a ring(to spread the forces better on the cone),a sort of coupling. This will further insulate the VC from the piston(cone).

Go buy a cheapo microwave you will get 700watts for under $50 and the ability to...cook !
Imagine that !!!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12888826

Go buy a cheapo microwave you will get 700watts for under $50 and the ability to...cook !
Imagine that !!!

Better yet, mount a sub in the side of it and really do some cookin'/thumpin'.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your missing the point. It does not produce heat. You don't use the voice coil. I did not say it was an efficient method of cooking, just a demonstration.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Lol, so your saying the saying the soundwaves emitted by the subwoofer will heat the egg as the egg absorbs the sonic radiation? Sorry, radiation in those frequencies is not absorbed in the form of heat very much at all, in fact, the sheer amount of air rushing over the egg is more likely to have a cooling effect as any heat at all thats absorbed by the egg will be swept away by the large volumes of air moving past at high speed.

Perhaps you could link us to something so we have an idea of where you got this from. It is possible to absorb sonic energy in the way of heat, but not at subbase frequencies, you also need a lot more spl than a typical woofer can provide.

The best way I can think of would be to remove the woofers dustcap and make a little cylinder in the middle of the vc, then you could pump a sine wave into the woofer and let the vc do its work. To the best of my knowledge though, its highly prohibitive to try to cook the egg with sonic radiation being absorbed at subbass frequencies.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ever try it? Why would it cook your hand if you set the egg on something? It's not like cooking a 3 minute egg anyway. Just curious. Not many people cook chicken on their car engine on a trip either.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Now, if you you use a tintanium/aluminum cone and somehow attach a heating element to the cone you might have some success there.

Or you could build a downfiring subwoofer into your range hood. This would allow you cook anything while you 'woof out'. I am getting hungry thinking about it, nothing like some good stir-fry with a 10 Hz sine wave, hmmmm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts