1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
474 Posts
I posted the same case about a month ago. Maybe everyone's already seen it? BTW it would be nice as a dedicated MP3 server, but too small for me personally.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's too weak for a true HTPC. In my opinion a true HTPC has to have enough power to decode MPEG2 [email protected] and that would mean a recent Radeon and at least a 2GHz proc. With my library of movies recorded from HBO-HD and SHO-HD constantly growing, my HTPC better be powerfull enough to play them via its DVI output.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, however I was just interested in the case design, if you wanna make it look like a hifi component. Of course its way too small for a truly powerful HTPC, but the idea is there...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about the new Coolermasters? They're dead ringers for the Theta Citadel Monoblocks...should look right at home with a pair of them :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Goi, I think the problem is what Kriilin suspected. This case has been discussed here several times over the past year. People have seen it before so they don't respond.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not a bad attempt, styling wise. The form factor from hush (height, width, depth) is the way we should be heading for this type of device IMHO.

Ive got one in production at the moment. The faceplates have been waterjet cut from 10mm thick aluminium. The cases are being developed, and should be with me at the end of the month. It'll be a similar foot print to a DVD player

My unit will use a mATX board with all the possible processing power that goes with that. Support for AGP graphics and a PCI sound card (the first prototype is using a Raedeon 9500 pro and MAudio Revo). A 40x4 LCD screen is used for menu display with a modified Powermate for menu navigation from the frontpanel. Full IR support is being worked on at the moment.

Things are a bit tight inside the case, and silent cooling is going to be a real challenge. But as someone once said "If it was easy everyone would be doing it"

Cheers

Pete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully the grand unveiling will be in a couple of months.

Initially this was just a project for myself, but as things progress i'm getting requests for information, specs and pics. If the unit turns out as i hope then i may offer it to others. Sort of a case only, case and accessories or fully built.

Lots of "if's and buts" at the moment, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, selexus that's an interesting project. Do you have any design blueprints, artists impression, or any other pictures that you might be able to share with us?

·
Registered
8 Posts
About all i've got at the moment (i'm at work) is a simple conceptual image.

The center circle is the powermate, the top and bottom curves follow to the back of the case where a 92mm fan is housed. The LCD will be blue with white font.

Cheers

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've managed to source some very trick AGP and PCI riser cards. These will allow me a certain amount of freedom when locating the cards. It's still gonna be tight though.

I was toying with the idea of mounting the mobo toward the front of the chassis and use extenders of some decription to present the relavant ports to the rear of the unit. To many problems with clearance of the dvd unit though :(

The circular part of the front is 95mm dia. The main body is only 60mm, as i said it's a bit tight. ;)

Pete

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
It's too weak for a true HTPC. In my opinion a true HTPC has to have enough power to decode MPEG2 [email protected] and that would mean a recent Radeon and at least a 2GHz proc. With my library of movies recorded from HBO-HD and SHO-HD constantly growing, my HTPC better be powerfull enough to play them via its DVI output.
Les -

I thought that the HDTV cards like Hipix, etc. would only output through component, as there is not enough bandwidth through the pci bus. How do you get HDTV DVI out ? I want what you have! I am thinking of building a dual AMD 1700 O/C to 2000 based HTPC with a Radeon 7500 AGP, do you think that is enough ?

CG

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
CG,

The beauty is in software as opposed to hardware decoding. Any recent Radeon along with a fast proc and a mobo that supports AGP fast writes can decode the MPEG2 transport stream in real time in software. All you pass through the PCI bus is the compressed MPEG2 stream. Once it's in memory then you can decompress it (with Radeon hardware assist if you have a good MPEG2 decoder such as Sonic or WinDVD). The AGP bus has enough bandwidth to handle uncompressed HD. The beauty of software decoding is of course the 3-2 pulldown removal on movie material and scaling of 1080p to whatever resolution you desire all over DVI. If you want to see it for yourself download the "DVHSTool" software from the HDTV Recorders forum. Even if you don't have a DVHS deck, you can use the software as a player for your HD files on the hard drive.

Leszek

P.S. AMD 2000 should be OK, however I would suggest scrapping some additional $20 or so and getting the Radeon 9000 over the 7500.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
HDTV DVI out - 2 ways right now (or soon), with others maybe out later.

1. MyHD 120 with optional ($200) DVI daughter card

2. Fusion 1 (or 2 at end of April?).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.