AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: burn in, there's not much information available on the company's site, but I would assume that the "service" would rotate the images in the gallery so that no one image would be on-screen long enough to cause burn-in. At least I'd hope so...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
Another reason why hanging plasmas on the wall is better. :)
So the images can always be at the wrong distance and height for optimal viewing? For people who like to watch TV standing up? :)

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
Another reason why hanging plasmas on the wall is better. :)
You could probably buy a bunch of non functioning plasmas very cheaply and hang them all over your house. That would make you like a real cool super dude, wouldn't it? :eek:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think their #1 advantage is they have the art scanned at high res for display on a big screen. Most of the art available online is too low resolution for use with big screens.

I can see this being popular in high end housing and office building lobbies.

I remember reading that Bill Gates had a custom system to do this installed in his house.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
It is called Cyber-Art. It was pioneered in a NYC video Gallery in the late 70's, THE KITCHEN famous for NAM JUN PAIK.

Bill Gates copied this idea from my installation featured in the cover of Audio Video Interiors August 1991. The house was a non stop visual extravaganza of Picasso and Degas works.

His lieutenant called my then company NOUVEL SPACE to ask technical questions about the project. Unfortunately this Bellevue based ART IMPLEMENTATIONS can become quite patronising. You must fill a questionaire of what kind of art and music you like when you register at the Gates' gate. You are then Patched with a chip (like a nicotin/birth control patch) that monitors your whereabouts around the house to anticipate your immediate comfort and beauty needs.

Picasso and Degas would cringe at the idea. So do I.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Once we're finally saturated with HD channels (like we are now with SD channels), this would be a cool channel - the Impressionist screen saver channel, etc.

Actually, they should add a small internal hard drive to the next gen of plasmas, so you can download your own HD images.

Otherwise, an HTPC is the obvious way to do this, if you can come up with good quality HD scans of art you like.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
OK, I have an HTPC so where can I get 1280x768 super high quality fine art images??? No where. I suspect that this would require an HTPC or some other dedicated internet appliance to get the images to the plasma. Or else they send you stickies once a month. For much of this it is copyrighted so you will not find it freely available.

Unfortuantely, there is nothing at this Web site that one could subscribe to. It is vapor. A show for investment bankers I suppose.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not vapor - they are launching it at a Seattle art gallery next week according to the invitation I received. As I said - it appears to be for high end commercial and residential, not the average home theatre owner.

Obviously the licensing of the images at high resolution is the key. The website lists Corbis and Eli Wilner as two of their partners.

CINERAMAX, that's an interesting story about Bill G's system!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quote:
where can I get 1280x768 super high quality fine art images??? No where.
If you owned art books/art catalogs, you could scan images with a flat-bed scanner or take pictures with high-res digital camera

for personal use (otherwise it would be illegal, I think).

In the "computer world," 1280x768 resolution is quite trivial. "Super high quality" would be something like 1600 x 1200 pixels or larger.

Mike

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I didn't say high resolution I said high quality. it has more to do with color accuracy, gamma the original source that is scanned in. I have a bunch of 1600-1200 pictures of art hanging in a museam but I wouldn't call those high quality.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Analog,

It is true, except I exhagerated about the patch thing. The chip is actually mounted on the room key card. I use to tease Bill Gates using his wifes' birth control implant for similar purposes.:)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSer
Hey, nobody even mentioned the new Roku player and its "Art Packs."

I looked at their brochure (PDF), but it does not say what the image resolution is.
Interesting - I'd never heard of them before.

They are distributing 30 pictures on compact flash for $70. They look like 64 or 128 meg flash cards if that is the retail price.

A 1080i image is 2 megapixels I think, but I can't remember what the color depth is. 128 megs doesn't seem like a lot of space.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.