AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The place that's doing the flooring and cabinets in our new house turned me on to this carpet manufacturer: http://www.astroindustriesinc.com/

I've requested samples of Confetti Black and Movietime Black Magic from the video section, and Too Cool from the amusement section. Price is comparable to standard single color carpet.

Seth

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seth,

Thanks for the link. I am going to try and fit this carpet in the budget. It will add some real character to my theater which is under construction!

Thanks again for sharing!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Give it the cat test. Mine refused to sleep on the sample. Do you really want carpet your cat refuses to go on?

This stuff is built to take a pounding in a video store - while it might have the right look - don't even think it will feel like your residential carpet. Do you ever have anyone walking on the floor in bare feet - or laying on the floor watching the big screen? You don't need samples - just go to your local video store and check it out!

I think this is more suitable for a lobby area than the theatre itself. Check out your multiplex next time - what carpet do they use and where?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by krag
Give it the cat test. Mine refused to sleep on the sample. Do you really want carpet your cat refuses to go on?

This stuff is built to take a pounding in a video store - while it might have the right look - don't even think it will feel like your residential carpet. Do you ever have anyone walking on the floor in bare feet - or laying on the floor watching the big screen? You don't need samples - just go to your local video store and check it out!

I think this is more suitable for a lobby area than the theatre itself. Check out your multiplex next time - what carpet do they use and where?
That's why I have requested samples, so I can decide what I think of the carpet. My last theater was carpeted in a commercial berber, which is also a "hard" carpet. IMO, comfort is determined more by the pad, and we're going with a top of the line closed cell foam pad. When I get a chance to try out the sample, I'll repost, but this is an area where I think people will have a wide range of preferences, and if someone likes the look, they should get a sample to try it out. There's probably even a wide variation in cats, ours will sleep on the roof from time to time :)

Seth

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Krag is right

I got the samples from this company a few weeks ago. The samples were nice size (18" X 24").

THey sent them out pretty quickly.

The carpet seemed thin and not well made. Nothing plush. Very industrial, not warm.

I am still looking.

The interior designer that is working on our house found some unusual sconces and lighting. Nothing like I've ever seen.

She should come up with some good examples for carpet.

She is looking for a deco, plush and more sophisticated vintage design theater carpeting. Somthing with swirls and, perhaps, paisley.

I'll let you know what she comes up with.

Good Luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due to some of the comments made here, I went to our installer today and checked out the samples they had. "thin"? Yes. "not plush"? Yes. "not well made"? Definitely disagree. The backing is dense and strong, the fibers (DuPont nylon) are very dense and are very well attached. I've seen cheapo carpets, and this isn't one. Think about it, this stuff is designed to stand up to foot traffic many times more heavy than a house will ever see, and not look worn. I even tried the "bare foot" test, and the carpet felt fine underfoot. There are plusses and minuses to a commercial carpet. Advantages are easy maintenance, great crush and stain resistance (important in a theater) and low maintenance. A plush carpet will definitely feel more luxurious, at the expense of higher maintenance and cost.

There's one thing I'm careful to do when posting opinions about products, since many people take what they read here very seriously. If I don't like it, I state that it's because it doesn't meet my particular set of requirements. I don't slam a product that might be very desirable for someone with a different set of priorites.

Ultimately, the only opinion that really matters is yours. Try out the alternatives, and come to your own conclusions. Samples are either free or cheap :).

Seth

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I agree this stuff is well made for its intended use (video stores, arcades)

I am in the camp that a home theater should not be identical to a commercial theatre. I went more comfortable leather seats and a nice plush wool carpet. I prefer that over plastic seats and carpets with sticky soda on them - though I understand that some people consider that as part of the whole theatre experience!

BTW when I looked at this stuff it was at a commercial carpet dealer after I found it on the internet. When I indicated that this was for a home theatre - they had much more interesting patterned carpets to show (and yes - more expensive). I am very happy with what I finally selected and that I did not go with my original plan to buy internet direct - I did not realize my options!

The key here is make sure you are going to commercial carpet dealers rather than residential dealers so that you can see what your options are!

Don't get hung up on liking the movie themed print - commercial dealers have all kinds of patterned carpets of various grades! Usually commercial dealers are hidden in industrial parks and have locked doors - so it helps to have designer friends.

The best thing you can do is have a source so that you can compare and inspect different options!

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I have the samples and regarding the build quality - it was commercial, yes strong and durable.

I have seen very expensive carpeting and this stuff doesn't even really qualify as 'carpet'. It's more of a tough, carpet-like chemical reaction with only durability on its side. I guess it doesn't even seem like carpet to me - just commercial, cinema themed floor covering.

I mean a rubber door mat can technically rated as made well and durable, but would you want it inside your home.........I doubt it. Also, the colors were muted relative to a nice carpeting.

When my designer gets me some true carpet samples, I'll photograph and post.

I should have been more clear regarding the build quality, it seems incredibley durable, but it is a floor covering and not technically carpeting.

JEff

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I have the samples and regarding the build quality - it was commercial, yes strong and durable.

I have seen very expensive carpeting and this stuff doesn't even really qualify as 'carpet'. It's more of a tough, carpet-like chemical reaction with only durability on its side. I guess it doesn't even seem like carpet to me - just commercial, cinema themed floor covering.

I mean a rubber door mat can technically rated as made well and durable, but would you want it inside your home.........I doubt it. Also, the colors were muted relative to a nice carpeting.

When my designer gets me some true carpet samples, I'll photograph and post.

I should have been more clear regarding the build quality, it seems incredibley durable, but it is a floor covering and not technically carpeting. The 'not well made' comment referred to the fact that it wasn't a true, plush, thick carpet. That is what I am after for my room.

JEff

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gentleman,

While you may not think much of this carpet, I have to thank Seth for bringing it to my attention since I had not even thought about patterned carpet.

I like the idea of the pattern and will investigate the commercial and also the softer residential version.

Anyone have an idea on where to get the softer patterned carpet?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by David Luks
Gentleman,

While you may not think much of this carpet, I have to thank Seth for bringing it to my attention since I had not even thought about patterned carpet.

I like the idea of the pattern and will investigate the commercial and also the softer residential version.

Anyone have an idea on where to get the softer patterned carpet?
I believe Milikens (sp?) makes wool theater design carpets.

Seth

·
Registered
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbradley02
Price is comparable to standard single color carpet.

Seth
Approximatly how much per square yard???

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
Approximatly how much per square yard???
Around $60/yard. Here's a page with thick plush nylon carpet at that price:
http://www.hometheaterdecor.com/htd/...cfm?category=9

I know I also found wool carpeting at that price online, but haven't been able to relocate the URL. My dealer quoted $60/yard installed for wool. It may be possible to get it for less from the commercial dealers mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Seth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.