AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooler Master has a really interesting new HTPC/Meia Server case out. Tons of space inside and 120mm fans standard. For those of us who want full gaming, workstation and/or server functionality out of one box, this might just be a great option. This info is from 3DGameMan.com :

Cooler Master CM Media 280 HTPC Case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview:

The wait for a Power HTPC is finally over, introducing the new CM Media 280/281, with its roomy interior capable of supporting NVIDIA SLI / ATI Crossfire Configuration and capacity to hold up to five HDDs. It is also compatible with RAID configuration. The spacious dimensions allow you to have full-length cards, including the NVIDIA G80 SLI. With its hair-line high-quality aluminum appearance, it will be the highlight of your Power HTPC.

Features:

- Unique mechanical design (Pedestal / Desktop convertible)

- Spacious Dimensions to support NVIDIA SLI / ATI Crossfire Configution

- Elegant and Sturdy Aluminum finishing front panel design to blend in seamlessly into your working or living space

- Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) and Hot Keys facilitate the use of Microsoft Media Center Edition (Optional for CM Media 281)

- Eight air ventilation areas for optimal airflow and cooling while providing silent solution

- Get ready for Microsoft Window Vista

Specs:

Available Color: Black

Dimensions: (W)430mmx(H)178mmx(D)477mm

Material: Chassis: SECC, Bezel: AL+ABS

Motherboards: ATX, Micro-ATX

5.25" Drive Bay: 3 (Exposed)

3.5" Drive Bay: 5 (Hidden) , 1 (Exposed)

Cooling System: One 120x120x25 mm Rear Silent Fan(1200 rpm, 17dBA), One 120x120x25 mm Front Fan (Optional), One 120x120x25 mm Top Fan(Optional), One 120x120x25 mm Side Fan(Optional)

Front I/O Panel: USB 2.0x2, IEEE 1394 x1, MIC x1, SPK x1

Expansion Slots: 7

VFD Display Remote Control: Included

Weight: 9.3 kg

Multimedia Hot Key: Included

Power Supply: Standard ATX PS2/ EPS 12V (Optional)

____________________________________________________________ __

Link to product page:

Cooler Master CM Media 280 (RC-280)

Link to an early European review I found:

www.presence-pc.com Review (translated from French by Google)

One of the best bits of news I've found about this case is that the suggested retail price may be under $220.00 for the RC-280 version of the case that includes the remote and VFD, and around $120.00 for the RC-281 version without. Looking forward to seeing this one hit American shores!

I've attatched a couple of images below. Any further information on this case and/or its current/future availability would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If this is truly an ATX/uATX case then the motherboard will be mounted upside down when the tower is standing up, which I've never been a fan of. Also, this places the power supply at the bottom of the MB, which not only will probably require you to use extensions on the MB power connectors but will also eliminate the use of a power supply with a bottom fan to help cool the CPU.

IMHO, this case isn't even worth $50, let alone the $220 mentioned.

Mez

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Intresting case. I might order one for evaluation. My only gripe is that the front facia is made of "Aluminum" plus ABS plastic rather then all Aluminum.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldritch /forum/post/0

If this is truly an ATX/uATX case then the motherboard will be mounted upside down when the tower is standing up, which I've never been a fan of. Also, this places the power supply at the bottom of the MB, which not only will probably require you to use extensions on the MB power connectors but will also eliminate the use of a power supply with a bottom fan to help cool the CPU.

IMHO, this case isn't even worth $50, let alone the $220 mentioned.

Mez

Hmmm... I seem to recall that many modern power supplies (of the type that would likely to be used in such a case at any rate) often have MB power cables that are much longer than needed in order to accommodate full tower cases these days... Even so, heaven forbid one needs to fork over $5.00 or less for an extension cable...

IMO--As far as the MB tray being "upside down," I don't at all think it's a bad thing to have you CPU and the surrounding circuitry at what would potentially be the coolest part of your case when in vertical standing position--surrounded by a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust as well. If you have 120mm fan pulling air out of the case, even better. Your case and motherboard temps should be cooler overall in practice because of this setup.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/0

Yeah, looks-wise this isn't my favorite, but this has the perfect features (especially those 120mm fans for an HTPC case, with IR, thats really hard to find.)

The 120mm fans means it should be quiet, which is what I like.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just got one but haven't unpacked it yet.

Pete

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got a 281 Here ,

but you can order the accessory kit to make it a 280 if you want.

Pete

·
Premium Member
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMazz /forum/post/0

I got a 281 Here ,

but you can order the accessory kit to make it a 280 if you want.

Pete

The accesory kit will not add everythiing that the 280 has. It does not add the control buttons for the front panel. Follow this link http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1284 and then click support and then Installation Guide. Page 16 of the installation guide shows the control unit that is specific to the 280.The accessory kit does appear to add most of what the 280 just not everything. Just wanted to let others know so they aren't surpised if they thought they would be getting the front panel control buttons.

I'm still waiting for the 280. As far as I know, it is not yet available.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I'm putting together an HTPC/Gaming rig with this case, and can say this so far:

1. The clips that hold the aluminum front to the case are plastic. Bad move by coolermaster- the upper tabbed ones are okay, but the bottom sets are flimsy: 1 of mine broke. One side of the front panel will flip up a little if I lift the case by the front.

2. The vfd/remote unit is available in a couple of etailers. Sundialmicro has it for $99. I haven't picked it up b/c they just got it in stock over the weekend. It really wouldn't do me much good now, either because I haven't purchased my TV cards yet either.

3. The relationship between the MOBO and the PSU poses no issues. Cable length did not seem to be a problem. If you wanted to take issue with your cables needing to run over/under your vga and other cards, I guess you could do so. I ended up using an Antec Smartpower 2.0 modular PSU, which has the fans on the front and back instead of the belly. Anyway, I should be able to bundle most of my wires into the channel between the MOBO and drive cages, or stick the excess in the drive bays I'm not using.

4. The placement of the MOBO raises no issues regarding cooling. The case has room for 120mm fans directly behind, directly above, and 6 inches back on the side perpendicular to the VFD. (I plan on sacrificing the overhead fan to make room for a tuniq tower 120 cpu cooler, which it appears will barely fit- we'll see.) A 120mm fan also fits between the HDD cage and the VFD. There is a ton of room and expandability for cooling!

5. It is solid and roomy. I have an ATI x1950Pro with a Thermalright HR-03 cooler and there is length to spare between the end of the card and the drive cage for the 3.5.

6. If you're looking for a Gamer/HTPC case, consider this case, but only if you are going to lay it down. As a tower it's kinda clunky and only okay; but as an HTPC Case, it comes alive.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen /forum/post/0

The accesory kit will not add everythiing that the 280 has. It does not add the control buttons for the front panel. Follow this link http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1284 and then click support and then Installation Guide. Page 16 of the installation guide shows the control unit that is specific to the 280.The accessory kit does appear to add most of what the 280 just not everything. Just wanted to let others know so they aren't surpised if they thought they would be getting the front panel control buttons.

I'm still waiting for the 280. As far as I know, it is not yet available.

My bad, I thought they were identical beyond the accessory kit.

Agree on the hinged doors being kind of flimsy. Still haven't put anything in it yet.

Pete

·
Premium Member
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherzson /forum/post/0

I'm putting together an HTPC/Gaming rig with this case, and can say this so far:

1. The clips that hold the aluminum front to the case are plastic. Bad move by coolermaster- the upper tabbed ones are okay, but the bottom sets are flimsy: 1 of mine broke. One side of the front panel will flip up a little if I lift the case by the front.

2. The vfd/remote unit is available in a couple of etailers. Sundialmicro has it for $99. I haven't picked it up b/c they just got it in stock over the weekend. It really wouldn't do me much good now, either because I haven't purchased my TV cards yet either.

3. The relationship between the MOBO and the PSU poses no issues. Cable length did not seem to be a problem. If you wanted to take issue with your cables needing to run over/under your vga and other cards, I guess you could do so. I ended up using an Antec Smartpower 2.0 modular PSU, which has the fans on the front and back instead of the belly. Anyway, I should be able to bundle most of my wires into the channel between the MOBO and drive cages, or stick the excess in the drive bays I'm not using.

4. The placement of the MOBO raises no issues regarding cooling. The case has room for 120mm fans directly behind, directly above, and 6 inches back on the side perpendicular to the VFD. (I plan on sacrificing the overhead fan to make room for a tuniq tower 120 cpu cooler, which it appears will barely fit- we'll see.) A 120mm fan also fits between the HDD cage and the VFD. There is a ton of room and expandability for cooling!

5. It is solid and roomy. I have an ATI x1950Pro with a Thermalright HR-03 cooler and there is length to spare between the end of the card and the drive cage for the 3.5.

6. If you're looking for a Gamer/HTPC case, consider this case, but only if you are going to lay it down. As a tower it's kinda clunky and only okay; but as an HTPC Case, it comes alive.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Thanks for the review. I was curious how well it would cool and if larger cards would fit without any major issues.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
If this was available in silver, I think I'd have to buy one

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.