AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PS3 Cell processor is already at 65nm (at least in the 40GB version). This fall, the PS3 RSX graphics processor will also transition to 65nm from the current 90nm.

Link

This should reduce power requirements even further and hopefully result in even quieter running PS3's.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader_slri /forum/post/14172086

The PS3 Cell processor is already at 65nm (at least in the 40GB version). This fall, the PS3 RSX graphics processor will also transition to 65nm from the current 90nm.

Link

This should reduce power requirements even further and hopefully result in even quieter running PS3's.

Geez. Now I have to think about possibly returning/exchanging my PS3. I have 90 days from June 12 - i.e., until September 10, which may mean going a few weeks without one.

It may mean the loss of the $100 gift card, though, as well as MGS4.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

Quote:
"And now all PS3 Cells have shifted to 65nm process technology since last holiday"
Quote:
"While the improved Cell is in circulation, the RSX graphics chip, created in tandem with Nvidia, still uses 90nm technology."

Has anyone looked at the Cell in the new 80GB yet? If so, is there a link to a post/pics?

From these statements (if true), it sounds like the new 80GB MGS4 Bundles should have the new 65nm Cells....

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/14172691

Has anyone looked at the Cell in the new 80GB yet? If so, is there a link to a post/pics?

From these statements (if true), it sounds like the new 80GB MGS4 Bundles should have the new 65nm Cells....

The link sounds/reads like the Cell processor might be the smaller 65nm version, but the RSX graphics chip is still 90nm technology and won't become 65nm until this fall. So I guess the PS3 uses 2 main chips - the Cell processor and the RSX/Nvidia video chip, and the former might already be 65nm in the 80GB MGS4 machines, but the RSX chip is not.

If the above is correct, then how much of the heat/power is consumed by the Cell processor versus the RSX chip. I.e., how much additional difference will a 65nm RSX chip make if the just-released 80GB PS3s already have a 65nm Cell processor?

Is there any way to safely and easily open the PS3 to see if the Cell is 90nm or 65nm?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/14172691

I think there's a way to tell based on its model number. Some of those 80s are recycled from the previous batch of 80s and sport a model number that contains an HE designation. These are said to be as loud as the 60s and 80s from last year. The newer 40s are quieter and have either an HG or an HH designation. I don't recall hearing about an HF, and I don't know whether there are any new 80s with an HG or HH. The PS3s coming out in the Fall with the new RSX chip will likely have a new designation, maybe HI or HJ.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektricide /forum/post/14175180

What size is the original 60GB?

90nm

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader_slri /forum/post/14172086

Link

If it's got 65nm cpu and graphics PLUS a chip that does full HDMI 1.3a and firmware to support bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, I might just be inclined to pick one up to replace my 60GB model. Yes, I'll give up PS2 backwards compatibility for bitstreaming the lossless codecs.

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
you're saying that the current 40 Gb is already the "cooler" version? Why then mine is still so loud?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/14176139

you're saying that the current 40 Gb is already the "cooler" version? Why then mine is still so loud?
Comparatively cooler. 80s and 60s can sound like hair dryers by comparison.

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
but even in his first post he wrote:

Quote:
Of course there is another model still to come which is supposed to cool even better, but for now, the HH should be good enough for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/14176420

I tried an HG and an HH, and I swear there's no difference. Both have audible fan sound after about half an hour.

I don't know what to say. Is your PS3 in an enclosed entertainment center with poor ventillation? Mine (CECHH01) "kinda" is, but it still runs good. I say"good", but not "great". Great would be inaudible. Good means I can still hear it faintly, but most movies drown it out and it is still WAY WAY WAY
quieter than my last two PS3s. Ofcourse it my run louder over time. (i'll let you know if it does)

The reason I wrote in the "PS3 fan noise" thread that a cooler one was coming is because it has been known for sometime that a 65nm graphics upgrade was coming for the PS3 eventually. Also there may be better heat disipation technology in the 65nm GPU PS3s aswell. Supposedly the current PS3s cool the CPU and GPU with one giant heatsink. A new more effecient setup is supposed to use two lighter separate heatsinks for both the CPU and GPU. Here is article about that.

http://www.dailytech.com/PlayStation...ticle11610.htm

From this article it is not clear if this new heatsink is for the new 65nm GPU PS3s to come out this fall. If that was the case, the new PS3s would really be a lot better b/c they would make less heat and get rid of it more effeciently.

Another possibility is that this new heatsink is already being using but I cannot confirm that. Perhaps the difference between the HH and HG is that the HH has the new separate dual cooling. Not likely I think, but I can hope. I am guessing this based on the 60 & 20gig PS3 being 1st gen. The 80gig & 40gig HG models being 2nd gen. And the 40gig HH being 3rd gen. This is just a theory that expains why the HH model has a different layout on the back than the HG and 80gig model.

It could be something else though. If that is so, then maybe it is something like this;

1st Gen 20, 60, & 80gig w/90nm CPU and 90nm GPU.

2nd Gen, all 40gigs w/65nm CPU & 90nm GPU

3rd gen new PS3s coming this fall with 65nm CPU and GPUs.

Who knows this is all speculation on my part.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinlvfr /forum/post/14176867

I don't know what to say. Is your PS3 in an enclosed entertainment center with poor ventillation? Mine (CECHH01) "kinda" is, but it still runs good. I say"good", but not "great". Great would be inaudible. Good means I can still hear it faintly, but most movies drown it out and it is still WAY WAY WAY
quieter than my last two PS3s. Ofcourse it my run louder over time. (i'll let you know if it does)

I guess "quiet" is in the ear of the beholder. My PS3 is in an open entertainment center, plenty of ventilation on all sides, and I can hear the fan after a half hour or so from about 11 feet away. Someone on AVS claimed their 40 is "church mouse quiet," but I have never experienced that with any PS3 I've tried. Yes, the 40 is much quieter than the 60s and 80s I've tried, but it is not perfectly quiet. I had an HG and swapped it with an HH, but my results are the same. I think, at this point, I've trained myself to hear it, so I always do. Guess I'll be waiting for the HI or HJ model this Fall and hope for the best.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/14177050

I guess "quiet" is in the ear of the beholder. My PS3 is in an open entertainment center, plenty of ventilation on all sides, and I can hear the fan after a half hour or so from about 11 feet away. Someone on AVS claimed their 40 is "church mouse quiet," but I have never experienced that with any PS3 I've tried. Yes, the 40 is much quieter than the 60s and 80s I've tried, but it is not perfectly quiet. I had an HG and swapped it with an HH, but my results are the same. I think, at this point, I've trained myself to hear it, so I always do. Guess I'll be waiting for the HI or HJ model this Fall and hope for the best.

I remember someone saying "church mouse" also, I don't believe it. It is all relative to your opinion. I post in a RV thread and there are always people saying they get 14+mpg towing 10,000 pound trailers when everyone else on the site gets 10mph (me being one of them). It is more likely that these people are exagerating their claims. A dead silent PS3 would be great, but anything with a fan has to make some noise. The key is, can you hear while watching movies at a comfortable volume. It depends on the individual. If yours is still too loud for your taste, my best guess would be try the new one this fall or get a stand alone player. I've considered a stand alone just based on noise level. The PS3s added features outweigh the noise for me so far though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts