AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys since I am going to be replacing the tuners I need a way to keep them cool so they don't burn out again. The 2 ideas I had were.... #1 Use a fan to cool them down, but where would I pull power from and also what fan would I use? #2 Put 2 little chipset heatsinks on the tuner ICs themselves. Or hell, maybe both ideas to keep it extra cool! Please let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Williamn333,

I want to replace my tuners also. I am looking for answers to the same questions you are for keeping them cool. The question I have for you is where did you get the parts to replace your tuners? I have been trying for 4 months to get the voltage regulator chip for the tuners.

Thanks,

JJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have modified my UTV by drilling two 3" holes in the top of the case near the back. One hole I used a 80mm case fan to suck air in (near the factory fan). And the other I used to blow the air out the top of the UTV.

All in all the parts are next to nothing it is more the time spent making sure everything looked good.

For power I connected the two fans together and used an in-line 4 pin power adapter off the hard drive connector.

I topped the whole project off with some black fan grilles on the top. Looks pretty good.

Before the unit was quite warm to the touch and now it is very cool. I don't expect to have any heat problems any more.

On a side note - use a good quality (noiseless) case fan to keep your noise down.

Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could you post a pic of how your unit looks, I had similar idea, but with only one fan. If two looks good and works better maybe I will go that route.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I purchased a cyber cooler from somewhere on the net (sorry don't have the link, but did find it from this forum) for only about $15 to $19. does a great job and is not too noisy at all. raised my UTV up on 4 little Legos and it sits underneath and plugs in via the USB port on the back. has made a big difference for mine as far as heat goes, you can tell just from the touch. hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I took both routes suggested here --

First, you buy a fan that is meant for fitting in a single slot of your

pc, it draws power from the hard drive.

The fan is easily attached to the grill at the back of the UTV by

removing the one piece of metal that is 90 degrees to the exhaust.

I used some bread-wrappers to attach mine, it was no problem.

Secondly, buy a cybercooler aka a laptop cooler, I got my from newegg.

Your utv sits on the cybercooler and it draws air from underneath the

UTV and exhausts out the back. It attaches the otherwise useless

USB port on your UTV and is powered that way.

Between the two mods, my wife's UTV went from hot to the touch

to room temperature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After reading different sources I decided that adding a cooling fan would be cheap insurance against failure because of over heating. My first attempt consisted of installing an 80 mm fan inside the case in front of the sat antenna inputs above what I believe are the tuners. I removed a portion of the foam stuck to the lid and drilled a number of 1/4" holes for

ventilation. Worked great but I was disappointed in the high noise level of the fan and the look of the unit with all the holes in it. My wife says looks aren't everything, after all she married me! So I bought another fan (p/n 148-0100) & a plastic guard with foam mesh (p/n 148-0265) from Cyberguys.com. Total cost $8.44 plus shipping. I used the same mounting

holes but I took a 3" hole saw to the case and did away with all the 1/4" holes I had drilled earlier. The new fan is temperature controlled and runs slower and a whole lot quieter than the first one. The case is now always cool to the touch and I don't have any fan noise to speak of. I have also recently done a cooling mod to my Sony Sat-T60 using the same parts and the only thing I would do differently on either unit is I would use a 2 3/4 inch hole saw instead of the 3 inch hole.

Pic 1 0f 3

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pic 2 of 3

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pic 3 of 3

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also modified my UTV for cooling purposes because I feel I lost a large hard drive due to heat.

I installed two 80mm standard fans. One I placed near the stock fan and have it pull cool air in to the UTV. The other I placed near the tuners and it pushes the hot air out.

My unit used to be hot to the touch - now it feels cool as a piece of furniture.

Ed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine has been working fine up to this point. Now I seem to be loosing one of my tuners. I unplug it for a bit, restart, it it works for awhile. You think cooling as you did will solve MY problem? Has worked fine for 2 years, why now all of a sudden?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You could put ice on them and still have a tuner failure. It is IMO that the tuner failure is caused by cheap wiring or non powered multiswitches.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 01-0800
You could put ice on them and still have a tuner failure. It is IMO that the tuner failure is caused by cheap wiring or non powered multiswitches.
I share this opinion.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Maybe I have just been lucky but I have used a non-powered multiswitch for two UTV's for over a year and a half and have had no tuner problems...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Again, maybe I am leading a charmed life but it is an OPM satellite 3x8 multiswitch. The model # is 201-738. I bought it from OPM on their Ebay site for around $30.

By the way, my UTV units are the RCA brand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.