AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

I have a Integra receiver that runs very hot even with a lot of clearance around it.

I adapted a lap top cooler to maintain the temp.

Question: Is best to force air into the unit or pull air away from it. Either can be accomplished by simply flipping the cooler over.

I have never had a amp with a fan installed in the unit which direction do they direct the air.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
You want the air to be pulled from the amp or receiver. If you force the air in you are also forcing in every dust particle that comes near it in also.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotobird /forum/post/18277002

hi all

I have a Integra receiver that runs very hot even with a lot of clearance around it.

Question: Is best to force air into the unit or pull air away from it. Either can be accomplished by simply flipping the cooler over.

I have never had a amp with a fan installed in the unit which direction do they direct the air.

I bought a 127v desktop computer fan and installed it behind my Receiver blowing the heat off the top away from the unit. Doing this automatically makes the heat inside the unit go up thru convection and pushed away by this small silent fan. My Denon 4308 also runs very hot even being free of boundaries around it

My Rack is a metalic audiophile vibration control piece and the equipment floats on top of Aurios. Even so the Denon runs very hot. I get worried so I implemented the aforementioned solution.

Hope I could help.

all the best,

Michael

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
There are also some very good cooling solutions from coolerguys.com for home theater applications that are very inexpensive and work very well. Give them a look and see they have a package that you like. They problably pull more air than a laptop cooler. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a 3 fan lap top cooler for a relatively small cost of $35.00 and a usb to ac adapter for $5.00 making the cost $40.00 for the whole cooler

·
Registered
633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18277136

You want the air to be pulled from the amp or receiver. If you force the air in you are also forcing in every dust particle that comes near it in also.

while the 'pull out' rec is correct, i fail to see how the direction of air movement has any bearing on the amount of dust moved.

i mean, think about your HVAC return air filters, or the front of your PC...both of those are on the negative (vacuum) side of airflow, and they get dirty as hell. the only difference you'll see in dirt accumulation between push in/pull out is which side of the unit the dirt collects on!

(fwiw, my equipment closet inhales through a filtered 12x12 return air grille, and i need to change the filter as often as my other HVAC filters)

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
You are correct, but it is also much easier to clean the fans and/or filter than it is to remove the cover of your AVR or amp and clean the inside of them. Dust will accumilate on the fans whether you are pushing it in or out. Its also pulling dust from all over the house to the unit as your statement says. so a filter of some type does help. But in the long run you still want those fans pulling air from the AVR or amp.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotobird /forum/post/18277002

hi all

Best is to put the fan on the top of the unit, near the hottest part (likely to be at the rear), and use 3M blue masking tape (painter's masking tape) to hold the fan in place.

I run a very quiet 5"x5"x1" fan, in this way. The fan runs at a number of different voltages, from 12v down to as low as 3v; 3v is inaudible but I run it at 4.5v as that gives the best overall result and is inaudible when there is sound playing.

Cheers

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
High temp. is one of the reason I recently upgraded from an 'Oven-hot' Onkyo 805 to an 'ICE cool' Pioneer SC25. Don't forget Summer is not far away.

I did use those computer cooling fans on 805 n tried to suck out the hot air, with little improvement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I decided that the best route to cooling the system and getting the greatest increase in head room was to buy a separate 2 channel amp to run the main channels off of

the integra receiver now just runs the center and surrounds and i purchased a very good Rotel rb-1070 for the mains the difference is astonishing and the whole system blends very well together

the Integra now runs much cooler then before and i now can get all the volume i find necessary the extra amp was $500.00 if others have a heating problem and can swing the extra cost of a add on amp that is the way to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts