AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running into a temperature problem in the converted coat closet where all of my HTPC components are located. My DirecTivo runs significantly hotter than the stand alone Tivo it replaced, and it seems to be the straw that broke the camels back in terms of heat build-up in the closet. Previously, I would leave the door ajar when the HTPC and amplifiers were on, and close it when these components are off, but this is no longer possible with the DirecTivo unit in place. I'd like to improve the air flow in the closet, but am not entirely sure how to do this.

I've considered installing a louvered vent on the door, but my resident adviser on aesthetics has informed me that I could only install this on the lower section of the door, and I don't think that would take care of the heat trapped at the top of the closet. There is an attic space above the closet, and a roughly 5 foot "crawl" space below it. I imagine that cutting holes in the ceiling and floor of the closet would give enough of a chimney effect to dissipate the heat. However, I 'm not sure how big to make these "vents", if there are standard ways to disguise them, and if there are any other issues I should be aware of before doing this. Has anyone attacked a project like this, and have any suggestions on how to do this, or which information sources I should consult?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You could install a bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling and a filtered floor vent for cool air intake from the crawl space.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are standard inlet/outlet fixtures for door, floor, or ceiling for heat/cooling. Try a high-end remodling store. I've been able to get very good air flow with convection only if the crawl spaces allow air movement. Some of the grates you can get are wood to match oak floors, wood to paint if you put it in the bottom of a door, etc. Filters are easy to attach. Generally this is a pretty easy install, but that certainly depends on your house construction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to stay with convection, because I don't want to introduce any more noise into the area. I know there are remote fans that connect via ducting, but that seems like overkill for this project.

The filtered vents are a good idea; I'll pay a visit to Home Depot and the higher end hardware store nearby. I like the idea of filtered vents since I was concerned about introducing odors from the attic or the crawlspace directly into the living space. I'm assuming that the filters are paper filters similar to what you would use in a forced air furnace. Will convection alone be sufficient to force air through these filters, or does this application require a different type of filter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.