AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My storage area for my components is inclosed from the back, top, bottom, and both sides, with glass shelves in-between the components. Because of this there is not much air circulation to cool my amp. I have a rack fan that sets above the amp that has 3 fans in the front pushing air to the rear of the cabinet, and 3 fans is the back pushing air to the front of the cabinet, but it does not seem to be working.

I have seen a few fans that you set the amp on top of the fan and it pushes air from the bottom of the amp upwards. Has anyone tried one of these and if so how well does it work and, what brand do you recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You can put all the fans you want into the storage rack and it'll do basically nothing. Until you can find a way to exhaust the heat out of the area, you'll continue to have heat issues with your amp; I'm assuming you have a door the keeps all the equipment out of sight too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung
I'm assuming you have a door the keeps all the equipment out of sight too.
No it is a open front. You can see a pic. of it in My Theater. So exhausting it is not the problem it is just moving air around it properly......I think....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think the two sets of fans you have are fighting between themselves. I almost sure you have airflow issues. I would try to pull out the fans in the rear of the amp and see about changing the air flow of the fans at the top of the amp to blow out towards the front of the rack.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It seems like the fans in the back would just blow the heat back over the unit. You want to exhaust the heat not recirculate it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm using a Sherbourn C-12 cooling unit that sits on top of my Denon 5805. It's configured to draw air in the bottom, and exhaust it out the front of my rack. It's thermostically controlled and works wonders to keep the 3910 and HDTivo above it cool.

Quote:
So exhausting it is not the problem it is just moving air around it properly......I think....
You're mistaken, exhausting is what you need to do. Your fans are working against each other if I understand your post correctly.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If the front is open, then have whatever fans you have push the air toward the front, cooler air will come in fron the lower portion of the front opening and provide the air exchange necessary to keep the amp cooler. Make sure the amp is on the top shelf with the fans blowing air to the front and across the top of the amp. That should provide you with the proper amount of cooling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.