AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finishing the construction and setup of my home theater I find that I am experiencing some heat builup in my equipment closet:

http://65.31.50.236/ht/images/rearaccess.jpg

This cabinet has a 52" paneled door on the theater side that is closed and latched to keep the kids out. On the back side I have a 52" access panel that I could easily cut a few holes in, mount an auxillary fan, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? My biggest concern is my HTPC which is registering pretty high temps whenever the receiver(RX-V2500) has been on for over 30 Minutes. This installation is in a basement that is normally 72 Degrees or less. I don't want the equipment to fail early due to excess temps in the closet.

Thanks in Advance,

-12vman

·
Registered
670 Posts
Can you leave the back panel open when the theater is in use? Would that be enough fresh air to keep everthing cool? That would by far be the easiest thing.

The next thing to try would be what you have suggested, cut some holes and put some fans at the top of the back panel to suck out air. You'll also want some way to let in some cool air, either from the front (best for cooling but maybe not so good for noise control which might be the reason you have everything in the closet), or from the bottom of the back panel. One thing to look out for is turning that back panel into a big sounding board for fan vibrations.

If you have pockets of dead air inside the cabinet (likely if you choose to let in cool air from the back), you might put in some kind of fan to stir things up in there and make it easier to exhaust the heat. An inlet fan, while not needed to draw in cool air, could function in this role.

Get a digital indoor/outdoor window thermometer and put the outdoor lead inside the cabinet to get some empirical data while you experiment.

Have fun,

Gerald

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've found 120mm DC cpu type fans are the easiest to work with, and probably the less expensive option as well.

Try just cutting holes first and see if that is enough.

G

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore
I've found 120mm DC cpu type fans are the easiest to work with, and probably the less expensive option as well.

Try just cutting holes first and see if that is enough.

G
This is exactly what I did with my setup.... Though I don't have a cabinet like yours I do have a small credenza type cabinet that my 52" JVC HDILA sits ontop of with a storage area for all of my components.

On one side of the credenza I have a 5 Disk DVD player, DTS Receiver, DVD Recorder, Networked DVD Media Player and Two DirecTV HDTivo's with dual 400 gig hard drives in each spinning at 7200 RPM's. With the front glass door shut the inside of this cabinet gets HOT! My Tivos before I installed a fan registered internal temps of 54^ Celsius.

This was getting too hot for me... So I bought a 120 mm three speed computer case fan. Cut a hole in the back of the credenza toward the top of the unit just slightly smaller than the fan. Screwed the fan to the cabinet and bought a AC-DC adapter and wired it to the fan. Turned the fan on the slowest speed (whisper mode) and my Tivo's temps dropped to 43^ Celsius in just 5 minutes.

So I think I've solved my cooling issue.... Maybe it'll work for you?

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.