AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a silent HTPC build based on the Silverstone GD02. My proposed build so far is:

Case: Silverstone GD02

MOBO: Gigabyte 780G UD2H

RAM: 4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2

HDD: Samsung Ecogreen 1.5TB

ODD: Samsung Multi+-DVD

PSU: Nexus Value 430W

2x Noctua NF-R8 80mm fans to replace the stock case fans.

I'm a bit stuck for the CPU. I want as much compute power as I can have silently, with a (reasonably flexible) budget of about £100.

The Silverstone NT01-E seems like the only aftermarket cooler which will fit in this case, but its only rated for silence upto 65W TPD CPUs (it can handle 89W with noisy 60mm fans). I was looking at the Phenom II x3 720BE or x2 550BE but I assume that these would both be too hot for this, correct?

I was also going to go for one of the new Athlon II x3 or x4 CPUs which are due in the next month or so, but apparently now their expected TPD is 95W instead of 65W, and I don'thave time to wait for the 45W versions which aren't expected until Q4 or later.

Does this mean my only real options are an Athlon II x2 250 or a Phenom II x3 705e if I'm going to stick with the AMD line? Theres no way to get a higher rated CPU in there without having some noisy fan? I'm not averse to intel, but the whole budget low-power HTPC seems to fit so much better with AMD except for this issue.

I've heard mixed comments on forums over the Scythe Shuriken. Does anyone know if this fits in the GD02. If so, is it good enough to cool a higher rated CPU silently?

Any help/advice would be appreciated and welcomed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagram /forum/post/16967650

The Silverstone NT01-E seems like the only aftermarket cooler which will fit in this case, but its only rated for silence upto 65W TPD CPUs

Are you kidding? That case is huge! You could probably fit half of the hardcore coolers out there in that case, but if you want to be extra safe, then you should go with one of the two coolers from this review .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? If so thats great.

I was concerned from things I'd read elsewhere on the internet. In this thread someone claims the normal shuriken doesn't fit with an optical drive. The big shuriken definitely looks like a good option for me if it fits and is silent.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That case isn't huge, the CD drive sits almost right over the cpu, the Scythe Shuriken looks like it will fit. The stock fan and heatsink for an Intel cpu was a pretty close fit. I had 2 of those cases, look for something else. Depending how long your power supply is the CD drive could hit it on the corner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have this case and even though I'm happy with it now I suggest you look for something else. I got the evo 01 heat sink and it's doing a poor job keeping my 45w 4850e at ~50 degrees idle.

If you do buy it, be prepared for a headache.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The heatsink you want is the MeORB by Thermaltake . At 47mm total height, it should fit no problem. Newegg carries these for around $46. I have one ordered for a custom case build.

BT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts