AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading different sources I decided that adding a cooling fan would be cheap insurance against failure because of over heating. My first attempt consisted of installing an 80 mm fan inside the case in front of the sat antenna inputs above what I believe are the tuners. I removed a portion of the foam stuck to the lid and drilled a number of 1/4" holes for ventilation. Worked great but I was disappointed in the noise level of the fan and the look of the unit with all the holes in it. My wife says looks aren't everything, after all she married me! So I bought another fan & a plastic guard with a foam filter from Cyberguys.com. I used the same mounting holes but I took a 3" hole saw to the case and did away with all the 1/4" holes I had drilled earlier. The new fan is temperature controlled and runs slower and a whole lot quieter than the first one. The case is now always cool to the touch and I don't have any fan noise to speak of. I also replaced the tiny little rubber feet with 4 stick-on ones about 3/8" high. Total cost including shipping less than $20 !

·
Registered
8 Posts
To help with cooling I made some feet for my UTV out of pennies and electrical tape. Roll the pennies with the tape and just slide them under the unit at each foot. Looks just like rubber feet( even passed the wife's approval). 11 pennies per foot worked out to about 3/4" in height. Total price for mod: 50 cents :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I made my feet out of 1 1/4 inch pvc pipe from Home Depot. A quick spray with flat black paint to make them look original and then attached them to the UTV with silicone.

Make sure the front ones are far enough back to let you remove the front panel if you have to.

I put one on each corner, but that requires exactly the same length or the UTV will wobble. I cheated by making then all the same length on my lathe, but if you just use 3 (2 in front and one in the rear, near enough will be good enough. Probably doesn't compete on price, but having them attached to the UTV is nice.

I would like to take credit for this idea, but my lovely wife was the one who suggested it.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.