AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12x12 upstairs room that I'm just starting to convert to a HT. It's finished so I want to minimize new construction. I'm running a Marquee 9000LC and an HTPC, amps for sound etc. The room has a vent for central air but I can't really run the air because the rest of the top of the house gets too cold. With all this stuff AND people in the room it gets really hot really fast!

Does anyone have any ideas for a suitable low-cost cooling solution for such a small room effectively? I was thinking of putting in a ceiling-mounted duct with an extraction fan that exhausts into the attic - would there be enough airflow through the existing central-air vent for that to be a 'pre-built' return? How would I keep noise from the exhaust fan down?

Any comments appreciated.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You could always multi-zone the current system so that when you are in the theater the HVAC unit runs just for the theater. You basically install electronic dampers in each of the main trunks and a master controller. Smarthome.com has this stuff.

Brian

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
A possible cheaper alternative would be to install an in-line fan on the outlet tubing of the room and have it controlled via temperature switch inside the room. This may not provide COLD air but it would move the air outside the room in. I would think that from your post that the outside room air is cooler.

If this is not enough then a controlled damper system may be next cheapest option.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brian and Frank. Interesting ideas.

Anyone have anything else before I start hacking my AC around ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.