AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Your review has some fine points: it informs without spoiling plot elements, and it is delightfully brief.

I am surprised Kevin Smith made this derivative retread.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Kevin Smith did not write nor was he involved at all with the creation of this script. This marks the first time he has ever been hired by a studio to direct someone else's film. From the looks of things he did the best he could with it, but this is not a 'Kevin Smith' film according to what that label usually signifies.

Look for the next Smith film.. a comedy surrounding Sean William Scott as a hockey player called 'Hit Somebody'. That should be most excellent as Smith will be making a labor of love again.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/18211167

Your review has some fine points: it informs without spoiling plot elements, and it is delightfully brief.

I am surprised Kevin Smith made this derivative retread.

Thank you IAM4UK. I was surprised he took the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/18211293

Kevin Smith did not write nor was he involved at all with the creation of this script. This marks the first time he has ever been hired by a studio to direct someone else's film. From the looks of things he did the best he could with it, but this is not a 'Kevin Smith' film according to what that label usually signifies.

Look for the next Smith film.. a comedy surrounding Sean William Scott as a hockey player called 'Hit Somebody'. That should be most excellent as Smith will be making a labor of love again.

I didn't know that he didn't write it, but still, how could he spoil his track record with this?? He has directed some really smart, witty and hilarious films in the past. Dogma is my favourite.

·
Registered
28,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/18211334

I didn't know that he didn't write it, but still, how could he spoil his track record with this?? He has directed some really smart, witty and hilarious films in the past.

Smith's movies have never made much money. He's trying to expand his audience by making a more mainstream picture.

Guy's gotta eat, after all.

[Cue obligatory fat joke.]

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/18211742

Why would you even bother with a review so short a bereft of information? Also, it really bothers me when people write reviews yet they can't be bothered to check the most basic facts, such as who did or didn't write the movie.

Sorry. One time I actually assumed Smith wrote the movie like every one of his past films. He did still direct the film, which is just as bad.

Also, not every person wants an essay on a film. Some people just want a quick opinion and then they can experience the film for themselves. Those are the people I write for.

Sorry I was of no help to you.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18211920

Smith's movies have never made much money. He's trying to expand his audience by making a more mainstream picture.

Ha haa! Did you review it? What did you think?

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/18211930

Sorry. One time I actually assumed Smith wrote the movie like every one of his past films. He did still direct the film, which is just as bad.

Also, not every person wants an essay on a film. Some people just want a quick opinion and then they can experience the film for themselves. Those are the people I write for.

Sorry I was of no help to you.

I understand what the guy was getting at, but I appreciate your short\\sweet approach Dbuudo

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18211920

True, but he has become something of a cannibal.

He can now be considered bloated and sluggish, with regards to the evolution of new-gen filmmaking.

His last (and maybe only) great cinematic feast was Dogma.

Fart and Dick jokes can only take ya so far...

BTW, Ebert doesn't think much of Cop Out.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks lwright. I am usually meticulous in my research and made a mistake. I won't let that happen again. Learn from the mistakes. Regardless, this film should not have been approved by Warner.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuudo07 /forum/post/18211930

also, not every person wants an essay on a film. Some people just want a quick opinion and then they can experience the film for themselves. Those are the people i write for.

+1

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/18212083

Thanks lwright. I am usually meticulous in my research and made a mistake. I won't let that happen again. Learn from the mistakes. Regardless, this film should not have been approved by Warner.

Well I dont find Bruce very charismatic in his older age, and I don't really care for Tracy Morgan. It's a pretty lackluster combination, imo. I don't fault Kevin for this though..

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/18212185

Well I dont find Bruce very charismatic in his older age, and I don't really care for Tracy Morgan. It's a pretty lackluster combination, imo. I don't fault Kevin for this though..

You have a point.

·
Registered
581 Posts
COP OUT is definitely Smith's worst movie, but it's not nearly as bad as people are saying it is.

The problem with the movie is the script. But from a directorial standpoint, it's a major leap forward for Smith. I think that what he learned on this movie will make his future movies better.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The 35 million dollar hump has long been Kevin's problem. His films just don't earn more than that. He has joked about it numerous times. He really is not a great filmmaker. He's got a niche, so if he can do films that cost 10 or 15 million, he can make money for the studio.

COP OUT was originally called A COUPLE OF DICKS, but the MPAA said no way on that one. Frankly, I think the original title would have helped create more buzz.

As it stands now, the film will make over 10, but less than 14 million this weekend. It will not surpass 35 million in its U.S. run.

UPDATE: Well, it had a larger than expected Saturday, so it pulled in 18 million. Not bad for such a badly reviewed flick. But it will still likely fall short of 35mil. I hope it hits 40, just so that Smith can finally break that barrier (though adjusted for inflation, it will be less than some of his earlier flicks earned).

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/18220945

The 35 million dollar hump has long been Kevin's problem. His films just don't earn more than that. He has joked about it numerous times. He really is not a great filmmaker. He's got a niche, so if he can do films that cost 10 or 15 million, he can make money for the studio.

COP OUT was originally called A COUPLE OF DICKS, but the MPAA said no way on that one. Frankly, I think the original title would have helped create more buzz.

As it stands now, the film will make over 10, but less than 14 million this weekend. It will not surpass 35 million in its U.S. run.

Movies no longer depend on the BO take to become profitable. I believe that for the most part, less than 30% of the total revenue earned by a movie comes from the BO.

·
Registered
581 Posts
And that's especially true with Smith's movies. He's often said that one of the reasons The Weinstein's let him do pretty much anything he wanted was because, even though no one went to see them in the theater, his movies made tons of money (relatively speaking) on home video.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
There is only one thing wrong with this film: tracy morgan. His acting is like of a 5th grader ADD nut, yelling n shouting much to do about nothing.

I have no idea why they even had him for all that time with SNL, it's like they couldn't find another black guy or something. He ain't funny on SNL, and thought he maybe could be better with stand up but after 5 min I had to changed the channel on this dumb turkey. Get rid of this fool.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts