AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burned my first DVD on my Panny E80. I copied VHS tape to HD then I started playing the movie and hit paused. Then I pressed the dubbing button and pressed yes. I worked ok but wondered if that was the only way to copy a VhS movie to DVD besides that way and direct which I understand isn't recomended. Everyone here seems to prefer copy to HD first.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigdog9586
...Everyone here seems to prefer copy to HD first.
But some of them could likely explain why. There is no wrong way to do what you are trying to do (well, OK, I'm sure someone can dream up a number of wrong scenarios). The important thing is what works, and what works for you, which is more important that what everyone else does.

The advantages of dubbing video you own to HDD first are probably limited to video that you want to edit by choosing in and out points directly on the HDD. There really is no benefit in the case of already captured or owned video to going to HDD first other than that, and it makes sense in that case to skip the intermediate step and dub directly to the DVD-R (carefully, of course).

For wild video you are capturing on the fly such as this week's ep of "Joan Of Arcadia", there is the above benefit of potentially editing out commercials (if applicable) plus the benefit of being able to dump the program is it is something that you simply want to view and erase, or is something you're not sure you want to commit a DVD-R blank to. You can capture it on the HDD and make those decisions later.

If you are trying to make DVD's of "The Sopranos" live from cable or DBS once March 7th comes, there is also the safety factor of not creating a coaster if the cable goes out or your sat gets a rain fade. You can dump the existing HDD recording and catch the next playing...no blood, no foul. If its a one-time only, like the 24th ep of "24", to me it also makes sense to go to the HDD first, not only as protection against a coaster (although I've never had the pleasure, thankfully) but as a guarantee that you won't lose the program if indeed there is a DVDR problem. With video you own and don't intend to edit, there doesn't seem to be any point not to go directly to DVD-R.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes, one can copy VHS directly to DVD-R. However, certain nitpickers such as I prefer the many advantages of recording to the HDD first.

I don't like seeing any extra snow or unwanted material in my finished product. And it's also nice to be able to throw in a few well-placed chapter stops from time to time.

I guess that's why some are happy with labeling their DVDs with magic markers, while others strive to create professional looking labels.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Peter M

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by videonut
Yes, one can copy VHS directly to DVD-R. However, certain nitpickers such as I prefer the many advantages of recording to the HDD first.

I don't like seeing any extra snow or unwanted material in my finished product. And it's also nice to be able to throw in a few well-placed chapter stops from time to time.

I guess that's why some are happy with labeling their DVDs with magic markers, while others strive to create professional looking labels.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Peter M
Your answer brings up another question. Can I put labels on the single sided DVD's like I do with the CD's I burn?:confused:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
yes, you can put labels (on any non-data side) just like a CD.

Do a search for "label" and you should see a few threads.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
definitely read thru the threads for pros n cons..some say they are a no no

also check the epson thread for direct printing

·
Registered
447 Posts
Been recording off HBO, Cartoon Network & CBS to HD. Now wanted to burn to DVD-R but didn't see a playlist.

Did I miss a step or are all these restricted from burning to DVD-R?

I thought I would at least see the selection on my playlist and that it is restricted but my playlist is empty when I have ~18 items on my HD.

(I selected menu, burn, HDD -> DVD-R and have an empty playlist).

Help? TIA

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is what I do (from memory):

Function -> Dubbing -> HDD to DVD-R

At this point you will indeed get an empty playlist with the first line in the list highlighted yellow. Press the enter key (center key in the middle of the left/right/up/down foursome. A list of the programs on the HDD will come up, looks just like the Direct Navigator screen but a wee bit smaller. Scroll to the program you want to copy and press enter again. You will be returned to the playlist, but now the program you selected is at the top of the list. You can scroll down one line and add more programs by pressing enter. Once you have all the programs that you want to dub onto the DVD-R selected, press enter again to store the selections. Then it's on to choosing the dubbing mode (I always use High Speed) and starting the dub.

Let us know if this works for you.

HDD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here harddrive...

To the first question, I prefer to go to HD to allow multiple copies of certain shows---I archive racing for me and by brother...I also like to edit out commercials. The next issue is knowing I have the correct amount of data to fill the disk w/o excess compression and/or too long a recording.

If its a straight transfer, going straight to DVD-r is reasonable, but, slightly more risk of coaster production.

·
Registered
600 Posts
One thing I dont like re...dubbing a play list.

I often like to fill up a disc..2hrs...SP.....if a segment goes beyond the 2hrs ...it wont record a portion of the segment. I have to break it up...to fit. Play list has to be no longer than 2hrs...ie SP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.