AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,240 Posts
Interesting thought. I have a Cablevision STB (a Sony) that happens to have a working fw output on it. I also happen to have an HC1. Perhaps I'll give it a shot...

TM

·
Registered
357 Posts
Interesting idea, but looks like no go.

Pulled my DVHS input from my Comcast 6412, plugged it into the HDR-HC1. Proven source that has done multiple hundreds of hours of 1080i output.

The good news is that when you go to Rec Central (under the edit menu) you do seem to be able to select the option of recording I-Link IN (it switches from I-Link OUT). The problem is I don't seem to be getting any video or audio, just a blue screen. This would jive with the manual stating "You cannot record TV programs from the Ilink jack (pp. 68)" However, it does later (pp. 77) state that you can record your edited programs from a PC back onto the HDR-HC1 in HDV. You can also record from a VCR in HDV (interesting twist is you can use photo mode to capture stills!) but I wasn't in the mood to see if my JVC 40K would survive a strange new attachment.

I was using live PBS-HD (no copy protection), not archival stuff, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Be interested to see if anyone else figures a workaround, and if there are any ideas I'll try them. But for now looks like you're stuck with DVHS.

·
Premium Member
7,240 Posts
Didn't work for me either. I guess the fw input on the camera is not DTCP enabled

TM

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yep, I also think it has something to do with copy protection. You should be able to record from computer firewire, sooo capturing broadcast to computer, then changing few bits around with some clever program and then record to HC1 should work? Or it is not that simple???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.