AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I converted my CD collection to mp3 for play on my ipod. I have played the ipod through my AV receiver and it sounded fairly good. Much better than satellite audio. I would like to copy these files from my hard-drive to to a DVD and play it on my mp3 capable DVD player.

Is this doable? Software needed? I have asked on the DVD player forum but didn't get any info on how to do it. I have a Sony recorder that does -R +R -RW and +RW.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has done it, barring that, maybe a point in the right direction.

Thanks. Gary

·
Registered
432 Posts
From what I've heard, I don't think there are any DVD players with MP3 ability out there that will play MP3s off of DVD media.

I'm not entirely sure why, but it probably has to do with a limitation of directory size.

Your best bet is to burn a bunch of CDRs. But if you do manage to get it to work from a DVD, I'd be interested in knowing... might be the extra incentive I need to finally get a DVD burner.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vmark
Your best bet is to burn a bunch of CDRs. But if you do manage to get it to work from a DVD, I'd be interested in knowing... might be the extra incentive I need to finally get a DVD burner.
Someone in the DVD Player forum posted on a thread that it can be done, but it has to be an "iso" file. I inquired as to what that was and how to do it, but I never got an answer. I didn't find anything about this on an internet search, so I thought I would try here.

If I find anything, I will post it in this thread.

Gary

·
Registered
432 Posts
An ISO file is for lack of a better term, an "image" of the contents of a CD.

I don't know if there are any tools in Windows to create an ISO separate from a burner program, but in Linux there are a few. Basically, you just point the program at a directory and you get a big ISO file out the other end. It's this that you'd then burn to the DVD. You can't just put the CD on the disk though, you have to have the option "Create disk from ISO image" or something to that effect in your burner program.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by himey
I read that the new Pioneer DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD (DV-563A) player will play mp3 files off a DVD-r, +r.
I have a Bravo D1 that is mp3 capable. DVDs obviously play audio along with movies. They also have menus. It seems to me that a PC program could allow someone to author a DVD with soundtracks as chapters. Maybe to do this, the program would have to convert the mp3 back to another uncompressed format prior to burning. (perhaps defeating my purpose.) So far I am coming up dry on finding that program.

At least Pioneer has recognized the need.

Gary

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe there is another way to skin this cat.

I have an Apple ipod. It is the original 20 gig model that holds about 3000 mp3s (singles) which, currently, is the size of my entire collection. The ipod does not have IR remote control, but there is an accessory called Navipod that provides an iPod stand, IR receiver and an IR remote for $49. The website faq says it should work with all universal remotes, so I would be able to control this with my MX-700. This may be the best solution for a mp3 jukebox in my HT.

Advantages:

easily sinc iPod to my mp3 collection on my PC harddrive.

remote controllable via universal remote macros.

No swapping DVDs in the DVD player. (Complete mp3 collection in the iPod)

No burning DVDs.

iPod has optional random play built in.

Cons:

??

http://www.tentechnology.com/

Gary

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gmshoemaker
Maybe there is another way to skin this cat.

I have an Apple ipod. It is the original 20 gig model that holds about 3000 mp3s (singles) which, currently, is the size of my entire collection. The ipod does not have IR remote control, but there is an accessory called Navipod that provides an iPod stand, IR receiver and an IR remote for $49. The website faq says it should work with all universal remotes, so I would be able to control this with my MX-700. This may be the best solution for a mp3 jukebox in my HT.

Advantages:

easily sinc iPod to my mp3 collection on my PC harddrive.

remote controllable via universal remote macros.

No swapping DVDs in the DVD player. (Complete mp3 collection in the iPod)

No burning DVDs.

iPod has optional random play built in.

Cons:

??

http://www.tentechnology.com/

Gary
I plan on putting this iPod on random play. The only advantage to this remote control is the pause button for me. There is no on/off control using the Navipod. Then I wonder, why bother?

Anyone have any thoughts on letting a harddisk drive run continuously 24/7?

Gary

·
Registered
29 Posts
>Anyone have any thoughts on letting a harddisk drive run continuously 24/7?

The hard drives on TiVos are running 24/7 and always buffering live TV

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wkozun
>Anyone have any thoughts on letting a harddisk drive run continuously 24/7?

The hard drives on TiVos are running 24/7 and always buffering live TV
And internet servers as well. Thanks, I was looking for a sanity check before I put the iPod in this mode.

Gary

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My Denon DVD-1600 will play mp3's on CD-R's, but i have never tried it on a DVD+R. I know it will play my movie backups on DVD+R so i don't see why an MP3 disc will be a problem.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
the dvd player might see the dvd and begin looking for the dvd file structure and not find it because it's mp3s.

Most dvd player have to read the media to find out what type it is. I don't know if they read the actual physical composition of the disc, or if they look for certain files and then treat the disc as such.

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebohn
My Denon DVD-1600 will play mp3's on CD-R's, but i have never tried it on a DVD+R. I know it will play my movie backups on DVD+R so i don't see why an MP3 disc will be a problem.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have a Bravo D1 and have played MP3s from a DVD+RW. I used Nero Burning Rom to create an ISO 9660 DVD full of MP3s, and it worked flawlessly.

Now, the Bravo's features for use with said MP3 DVDs leave much to be desired. :(

Rick

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
I have a Bravo D1 and have played MP3s from a DVD+RW. I used Nero Burning Rom to create an ISO 9660 DVD full of MP3s, and it worked flawlessly.

Now, the Bravo's features for use with said MP3 DVDs leave much to be desired. :(

Rick
That is good to know. Can you create chapters (folders)? Can you do random play?

Gary

·
Registered
916 Posts
I haven't tried burning a disc with folders in it yet, nor with playlists, but it appears the Bravo can accept playlists. And yes I can do random play.

Rick

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ok I tried a new disc with plenty of folders today, and the Bravo D1 did fine with it. My only issue now is playlist creation. I tried creating an .m3u playlist, but the D1 didn't even see it. But even if it did, the playlist was created on a PC and would thus have invalid path information, rendering it useless anyway. Any ideas on playlist creation that would actually *work?*

Incidentally, the Bravo D1 doesn't like multisession discs, so adding playlists after the fact is out.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a cheap Cyberhome DVD player that plays .mp3 files from a DVD-RW without any problems. I havn't tried playlists yet but several places on the web say it will play them. An .m3u file is basicly just a text file with the path to each song you want played. You could probably create one with whatever your favorite music library program is and then do a global cut and paste in a text editor to fix the path for the DVD player.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just got a Pioneer 563 DVD player for DVD-A and SACD purposes, and it plays DVD-MP3s *much* better than my Bravo does. Functionality, loading time, and the GUI is much better than the Bravo's. Plus the price is right too. ;)

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.