AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have to pull my 100GB drive out of my 2020 so it can be replaced by Maxtor. It is still running but on it's way out. I still have about 55GBs of programming on it. Can I copy that programming onto a 60GB drive or will the drive sizes need to match? (i.e. will it have to be a 100GB replacement?)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You should be able to fit the shows on a 60 gig. The worse that will happen is a show or two won't play. Go for it!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it just copy the active shows? I know with extract you cab see the deleted shows as well.

Also, would I be smart to whittle it down to 40 GB before I do the copy?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I would copy the mpg partition with the 55 gigs worth of shows. RTVPatch will only copy active recordings.

Unless you mess up on drive assignment and write over your mpg partition you can always perform copy actions again. All you lose is time. I expect you'll be successful.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean "only copy active recordings."

Last I looked at it, it does an image copy of the partition without regard to what's in it. Copying 100G down to a smaller drive may work, assuming that the shows all fit within the first 60G of the drive... a tough thing to guarantee given that there's no utility to shuffle them all down the drive.

I mean, you can try to copy as much as is there, then see what happens when you try to play back.

Unless FlipFlop's added a lot more smarts to the MPEG parition copying code.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Building a new empty MPEG partition, extracting the files and putting them on the new partition one by one should work, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
You should be able to fit the shows on a 60 gig. The worse that will happen is a show or two won't play. Go for it!
Recordings appear to start at the front partition and work their way on. In the case of a two disk system the second drive isn't utilized until the first drive is full. At least that is how I think it works. If this is the case the active (non deleted) recordings will likely be at the front of the mpg partition. If I'm wrong I can live with it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if the active (non deleted shows) are at the front of the partition, that would mean everytime you deleted a show it would shuffle everything active up to the front?

And what about adding them one by one? Is that possible? I know how to extract them but not put them back on.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The shows don't move themselves to the front of the partition. It simply is a matter of what space is empty and will record closer to the partition when that space is available. I am wrong suggesting your remaining recordings will be at the front of the partition as it is simply a matter of timing, if space is available at the front of the partition new recordings will be placed there. You may have recently deleted shows from the front of the partition and immediately deleted any newer recording that occupied that space leaving your remaining recordings all over the partition.

Only if you started from an empty partition, recorded 5 shows, watched 5 shows and deleted 5 shows would disk space previously occupied be reused by the next round of recordings. This is far from reality as you will have keepers which lock up disk space forcing other recordings to be written farther down the partition, not to mention what effects delayed live TV files have on recording placing.

If you delete more recordings now they may have been at the front of the partition which won't help since you will only be able to copy 60 gigs starting from the front.

I don't know how you can copy individual recordings to a fresh MPG partition and be recognized by the replay guide. Without the guide pointing to the files they are nothing more than deleted recordings.

Just copy the MPG partition and see how it works out.

If 60 gigs is insufficient waite for the 100 gig and copy to it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the guide info is on the system partition, not the mpeg. it refers to the mpeg files by name only, not location on the drive...so, doing a block-for-block copy of the system drive and a file-by-file copy of the mpeg prtition should work, I still think.

extract_rtv has a write file option, -w. it may not work to create new files though, since the help just says it will overwrite files.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
jtl you'd think that might work to put the mpeg files in but in my experience it only works on the system files. I believe Mikeyboy can "live with it" and even "live it up" because he has it down correct from all my observations. :)

jtl if you have any idea's for "Building a new empty MPEG partition, extracting the files and putting them on the new partition one by one" that could be useful for the old ones. I don't know if FlipFlop really tried much along those lines. toots was a master @ flinging around all those photo's on the 4K but she was just moving the whole partition. We've never worked out the single-media-file replacement on the older ones, I don't believe. Any idea's?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.