AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon a recent try at recording from HBO namely the Soprano's my illustrious DVD Recorder (Toshiba RDKX50) responds with a message saying this program is a (copy never).

Is there a way to edit this through the playlist or any other exciting new technology? Is there a device I could use as a filter for this problem?

Do I need another recorder?

Should I forget about it and move on?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Probably there is a device, similar to the Macrovision-defeating boxes, that can render that analog video recordable at least, just not "legally" of course. I'll leave it at that . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does your recorder have dvd-ram? On my Tosh 34, I can only record premium channel content to a RAM disc (when not recording to the hard drive).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have Dvd-ram and I will try it. I also did some internet searches on CGMS filters....very interesting.

thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50
Upon a recent try at recording from HBO namely the Soprano's my illustrious DVD Recorder (Toshiba RDKX50) responds with a message saying this program is a (copy never).

Is there a way to edit this through the playlist or any other exciting new technology? Is there a device I could use as a filter for this problem?

Do I need another recorder?

Should I forget about it and move on?
What cable (or satellite) box are you using? Are you recording from HBO On Demand? This article says copy never applies to HBO On Demand, but for HBO it should allow for copy once. Does the Toshiba have a hard drive you recorded it to?

http://broadcastengineering.com/news...tion-20040917/

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using a Direct TV with tivo series 2; I am using a Toshiba RDKX50 with a 80 gig hard drive. I tried the "copy to vcr" function on the tivo which has worked before, and I put it on the HDD drive for editing. On the HDD drive there was a message in the playlist saying copy never.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
I am using a Direct TV with tivo series 2; I am using a Toshiba RDKX50 with a 80 gig hard drive. I tried the "copy to vcr" function on the tivo which has worked before, and I put it on the HDD drive for editing. On the HDD drive there was a message in the playlist saying copy never.
I guess when you copied it to the Toshiba's HDD that would have been your "copy once", and it won't allow subsequent copies. Like someone else said, you may want to see if it will let you dub it to DVD-RAM. I think my E95 will allow copy once material to be dubbed to DVD-RAM from the HDD, but then it removes it from the HDD. Not for sure though, I haven't run into it yet.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Have you tried recording HBO directly to DVD -R? I am curious as I have not had a problem so far and I have a Directivo. Were you recording regular HBO or on demand?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have two DirecTV TiVos and I have not encountered any problems.

I can do test recordings of the Sopranos on HBO on 1/1/06 and HBO2 on 12/29/05 and see what happens when I try to record them from my hard drive to DVD-R.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first time I tried it (last night) I copied it from my Direct TV DVR (I assume that is "On Demand" and the original recording date was 12/13/05. I only mention that because in the Tivo forum people have been complaining about red flags on PPV and ROD and there was no red flag on this recording. Anyway, I copied it to HDD and did some editing to the crap before the show and tried to add to the playlist and it said copy never.

I will try to record directly to the Dvd-r and see if it allows me the copy once scenario.

After reading the miles and miles of forums between here and Tivo community, I have to wonder if the original recording to Tivo counts as the "copy once" criteria. I also wonder if the Toshiba DVD recorder model I have is restricting the copy regardless of what parameters are used???

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not sure if this makes a difference, but ....

What model of DirecTV Series 2 TiVo are you using?

How are you connecting it to the DVD recorder?

Are you using Save to VCR to record to the DVD recorder?

·
Registered
948 Posts
My Sharp 300 stopped recording an episode of Lost 50 minutes into the program and gave me a message that the program was copy protected. I have only OTA and Lost was being broadcast in HD. If this continues and no one can create a black box between cable and recorder we might as well go back to using our VCR's. With HiDef and Blu-Ray coming content providers are becoming paranoid over the issue of making copies.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Fuzzybear50, Your not saying if your recording a "Regular" Episode or an "On Demand" Episode.

Because I know in my area you can copy "Regular HBO" programs to any of the recordable DVD Formats (DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW) plus PVRs.

But where people run into trouble is trying to copy the On Demand Episodes which makes sense to me if HBO is trying to sell you store bought dvd copies they sure as heck aren't going to let you make a bunch of "On Demand" copies of episodes.

So please let us know "Exactly" what you are trying to record because it does make a difference.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Bill.....I hate to sound like an idiot but how do I differentiate bwtween "on demand" and "regular HBO"? I have Direct TV so therefore I have 5 channels plus 2 family channels, what constitutes ON DEMAND?

Prior to mid November, I never knew this forum even existed. Nonetheless, I have learned a heck of a lot about recording.

thanx

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried it again, except this time I used a Ram Disc and I bypassed the HDD and it worked. I noticed when I opened the Easy Navigator window, that the show from HBO was flagged as copy never....I guess this will have to suffice. I will have to now worry about DVD-Ram compatible Players.

I also tried to record a similar episode directly to DVD-R, bypassing the HDD and within 10 minutes there was an alert message in the recorder saying that the material was Copy protected and recording was terminated.

Would another recorder present the same problem? Or do I need quality TBC?

I still think it is in the Toshiba.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
What you need is a Copy Guard Buster (Video Filter) that works on the CGMS & as for the recorders I would think it all depends if it has the CGMS in it but I thought most of them do?

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
I tried it again, except this time I used a Ram Disc and I bypassed the HDD and it worked. I noticed when I opened the Easy Navigator window, that the show from HBO was flagged as copy never....I guess this will have to suffice. I will have to now worry about DVD-Ram compatible Players.

I also tried to record a similar episode directly to DVD-R, bypassing the HDD and within 10 minutes there was an alert message in the recorder saying that the material was Copy protected and recording was terminated.

Would another recorder present the same problem? Or do I need quality TBC?

I still think it is in the Toshiba.
I think its the Toshiba. So far I have not had a problem recording HBO stuff on my Pioneer. It also may be that the flags are only on certains shows, like the Sopranos. I have recorded all the Rome episodes so far w/o problem.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
I will have to now worry about DVD-Ram compatible Players.
The Panasonic S29 is a great little DVD player with DVD-RAM capabilities. It can be had for $69 or less.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanx

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.