AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Andersbk:

___Not only has it been discussed as Namlemez has already mentioned, its pretty old news in Internet time ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks Anders, I guessed I missed the earlier discussions.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I missed it too, and it made me laugh a lot. A lot.

The arrogance that you could back fit a copy protection scheme on a, what, 19-year-old installed base seemed kinda funny. I'm also sure computers could easily have modded drivers to defeat this scheme.

The music business has waiting an audience of 50-100 million people who would pay $10/month for downloaded songs where the end users would handle the burning, the jacketing, hell, even the file serving to a meaningful extent. There would be no inventory, no middleman, no need to bribe retail for shelf space, endcaps, etc. That $6-12 billion business would have margins that exceed the entire global music business and would make heroes out of the record companies for actually giving consumers what they want.

Mark

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mark,

Quote:
The music business has waiting an audience of 50-100 million people who would pay $10/month for downloaded songs where the end users would handle the burning, the jacketing, hell, even the file serving to a meaningful extent.
That is if the music business insiders would stop leaking artists full albums to the internet weeks before the CD actualy is scheduled to be released. And then have the nerve to blame the internet for poor sales.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
 http://bbspot.com/News/2002/05/markers.html

Sony Music Lobbies for Ban on Markers

Washington DC - Ralph Hughes of Sony Music testified in the Senate today

urging lawmakers to enact legislation which would ban felt tip markers.

"These innocuous looking writing instruments are the scourge of our

society," he said holding up a Sharpie. "Not only can this black stick

of death be used to violate the DMCA, but it could also be used to write

the instructions to incubate the anthrax virus."

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
The music business has waiting an audience of 50-100 million people who would pay $10/month for downloaded songs where the end users would handle the burning, the jacketing, hell, even the file serving to a meaningful extent
I doubt that. There would be easily that large an audience for a 'music appliance' that did all of that for them easily. But I don't think that there are that many people who are comfortable with either the effort, the time, or the technicalities of doing that themselves.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Funny thing is, this copy protection silliness will only help improve the used CD market, and increase the value of pre-CP CD's.

Kind of ironic if you remember the RIAA's attempt to sue/stop retailers from selling used CD's alongside new CD's in the late 80s, early 90s.

Amazing that any entity in a free market could fathom such a restraint of free trade. The RIAA would make the former USSR envious ;).

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Of course, this only matters to you if you would actually *buy* any music produced after about 1983 ;).

The sorry state of music is why I have at least 3 CD versions of most Genesis albums (orginal, re-mastered, special Japanese remasterings), and virtually nothing post mid-80s. A collection heavily grounded in late 60s through mid 80s.

I would rather have multiple versions of *good* music than a freebie of *bad*, lowest-common-denominator dreck.

Crimony, I wouldn't even use a Brittany Spears or Celine Dion CD as a coaster for my drinks! ;)

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Kind of ironic if you remember the RIAA's attempt to sue/stop retailers from selling used CD's alongside new CD's in the late 80s, early 90s.
I haven't gone looking but I assume the IP brokers also made some fatuous legal claims at that time. These would be nice to quote.

Anyone know of a web site that has lots of historical quotes of this type? It would be nice to have a scrap book of quotes on how public libraries would destroy the book business, how VCR's would end life as we know it, etc.

- Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.