AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Samsung 65" S95B QD-OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center, 2subs
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot of talk regarding the zenith dvb318 upconverting copy protected dvds through the component outputs at 1080i. My question is, how would I know which disks are copy protected? AFAIK, it isn't indicated on the DVD anywhere if it is copy protected. Is there a list of copy protected DVDs? Are most newer disks copy protected? Just wondering as I am awaiting delivery of my zenith and my projector (Sharp m20x) doesn't support HDCP and I'll be running 1080i through component connectors and I want to make sure the rumors of zenith preventing 1080i through component in new players is not true.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Lots of misinformation here.

First of all, yes all commercial DVDs are copy protected. Macrovision has nothing to do with upconverting to 1080i. The DVD copy control association license for CSS specifies that nothing greater than 480p can be sent over the analog outputs (a throwback to MPAA's obsession over the "analog hole" which all rational folks have since dismissed).

The upconversion would be happening at the digital level inside the player, after the MPEG-2 is read and decoded. Then it would be output over component. If it did that it would be violating the CSS license, but there'd be no other technical hurdle stopping this. Again, macrovision only exists when 480i is output over composite or s-video. It doesn't work over component, and it has nothing to do with the upconvert rule.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by b2bonez
I wouldn't get your hopes up that a up-convert of 480i DVD material to

1080i is going to magically give you true HD resolution. It's just not

going to happen with the chipsets that are used in DVD players.

As far as I know almost 100% of all commercial DVDs are copy protected

with standard DVD CSS encryption.

b2b
Bones He didnt even ask about the resolution. As a 318 owner I can faithfully state that it does allow for playback at 1080I through the component output on all discs copy protected or not. And in response to your statement the pq although not 100% hd quality is significantly better then 480p on my panasonic RP-56 which is and continues to be one of the best dvd players out there.

This player is a nice stop gap until we get a full hd resolution media playback be it dvd or something else.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
At $200 this player sounds great if you've got a big TV. I doubt it will make much difference on my 40" but when I get my 10' projection screen later this year it sounds like a good accessory.

I wonder if they'll be pulled at some point for violating the CSS license.

· Registered
1,957 Posts
I can also confirm that the DVB318 upconverts copy protected DVDs via the component outputs. In fact, the 1080i output looks significantly better than the 1080i (or 540p) output of my iScan HD fed with an Xp50.

However, on the DVB318, I do see some subtle color 'flashing' in reds and flesh tones. I suspect it's from the macrovision. This weekend I'll try an unprotected disc and see if this is the case.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Hm, I've heard on AVS before that macrovision didn't work on component outputs, but I stand corrected. Perhaps the truth is it doesn't work in HD land. At any rate, the upconversion is happening inside the player before the macrovision signals are created. So macrovision shouldn't affect the upconversion quality. It could make the final signal have odd artifacts as described.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Macrovision worked on component outputs, but it did not work on progressive component outputs. Remember the Toshiba DVD player (SD-9000?) that was to be the first progressive component player? The reason it wasn't (officially) released was because Macrovision wasn't available for a progressive signal at the time.

The Macrovision signal is added to the digital data recorded on the DVD, unlike video tape where it's actually recorded in the video. The software signal on the disc tells the hardware in the player to activate the copy protection signal. The signal does not affect the digital processing or upsampling. It may or may not indirectly screw with an upsampled analog output.

However, in the case of DVD players with DVI outputs that are HDCP compliant, the manufacturer has two choices. #1, send out the HDCP signal on the DVI/HDMI output regardless of whether or not a Macrovision signal is present or #2, only activate the HDCP signal if a Macrovision signal is present. Non-HDCP compliant DVI players just ignore the Macrovision signal on the digital output. And as time goes on, Hollywood will see to it that the DVD Forum insists that #1's use is more widespread.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Did you see Barb Wire? Oh, those retinal scans! I'm sure there'll always be someone around to do your dirty work, citizen.

· Registered
3,598 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know almost 100% of all commercial DVDs are copy protected

with standard DVD CSS encryption.
Most "music" DVD's are not CSS protected. An example that I know for sure is

not CSS protected is "Diana Krall, Live In Paris".

Also, test discs like Avia are not CSS protected.

Ron

· Registered
2,841 Posts
The Chesky AADs and Classic Records DADs 24/96 discs have no copy protection. The AIX Records DVDs also do not have any copy protection. Chesky no longer produces the 24/96 discs and their new DVD-As have copy protection/watermarking.

A few movie DVDs are either missing the Macrovision turn-on signal or were just plain not recorded with it (one of the Harry Potter movies, for instance).

· Registered
1,957 Posts
Quote:
A few movie DVDs are either missing the Macrovision turn-on signal or were just plain not recorded with it
For a long time MGM dvds didn't have MV. Not sure if they've changed recently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.