AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sat down tonight to watch a bunch of Mad men I recorded last week. I fired up the xbox to watch it down by my work computers only to see that I could not watch the recordings as they are copy protected and can only be played on the computer they were recorded on.

So what happened is I recorded them on my main htpc running vista while my extender is connected to my work pc running win7 because I was playing with playing dvd vobs the other day. The recordings are in two places one on the original htpc (vista) that recorded the show and also my server. Neither of the shows played sadly.

I checked the shows on another xbox connected to the vista machine and they play fine. So basically putting this out there in case anyone else has this problem.

So two questions for everyone. First has anyone else seen this though I realize it is a specialized case with multiple systems and such.

Second am I crazy or is this a problem. If I record shows on my htpc and then store them on my WHS I would like to be able to play them. I am going to try this a bit more and maybe archive (not just copy) to see if this changes anything.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya I guess the final point of this. Using home group it should work but sadly it did not.

So now even though I have easy access to the files it does me no good if I can not play them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya I guess the final point of this. Using home group it should work but sadly it did not.

So now even though I have easy access to the files it does me no good if I can not play them.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the path you are taking, but if you are saying the show plays fine on the PC it was recorded on as well as the Extender attached to that PC then it works exactly as it should.

Chris

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention that this is not cable card but instead normal analog cable input from AMC.

I thought that any media player attached to the home server should play the files is all. What do people do that have multiple htpcs around the house and not the extender model? If this is the case then it would be the same thing as the stand alone dvr sadly.

Hopefully this is not an issue for others but surprised me so I just threw a post up so others will not have the same issues I did.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/17036289

This is what PP3 does for WHS. It adds an option to archive your TV recordings to WHS for playback later.

But in the OP's scenario, he'll have the same problem. The copy protection states that the program can only play from the machine it was recorded on. Even if PP3 moves the file to the server (which it might not, due to the copy protection), it still won't play. From what I understand, the only thing PP3 is doing in a case like this is an automatic copy/paste (since you don't need to transcode for this - and again, that may be restricted as well).

This kind of issue seems to pop up from time to time, when the broadcaster or cable co accidently activates the copy none restriction. From a (law abiding) consumer perspective, there's really no way around it...

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukt /forum/post/17037924

Homegroup is just a simple way to share files.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-dogg /forum/post/17045779

But in the OP's scenario, he'll have the same problem. The copy protection states that the program can only play from the machine it was recorded on. Even if PP3 moves the file to the server (which it might not, due to the copy protection), it still won't play. From what I understand, the only thing PP3 is doing in a case like this is an automatic copy/paste (since you don't need to transcode for this - and again, that may be restricted as well).

This kind of issue seems to pop up from time to time, when the broadcaster or cable co accidently activates the copy none restriction. From a (law abiding) consumer perspective, there's really no way around it...

Well yes, he can only play a DRM'd or copy protected DVR-MS or WTV file on the machine it was recorded on. But, you can move the file to a different location and stream it over the network to play it on the PC that recorded it or an extender. This is what PP3 does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts