AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be old news to some, but I was surprised to read today of new audio CDs being released that do not play or read on a PC CD-ROM. In fact, if you have a Mac it may result in a total system lock up, only corrected by a service call!

These new protected CDs play only on stand alone players.

Could DVDs be next, not a pleasant thought for HTPC users?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/23736.html

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
DVDs already have copy protection in the form of CSS (albeit a copy protection scheme that was easily cracked). As to whether some DVDs can be made to not play in DVD-ROM players, I think as few (Snow White?) already pose problems, whether by accident or by malicious deed. The real sticking point is that with the advent of DVD-ROM transports appearing in stand-alone DVD players, attempts to stop a DVD from playing in a PC would like stop the DVD from playing in a number of standalone players--making for a lot of unhappy "normal" customers (same thing is happening with the CD protection effort...these CDs refuse to play in many, many types of CD players, engendering customer confusion and retailer disgust with all the returns).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I doubt this particular scheme will last long in the U.S. market. Here's why:

1) The playback protection is easily defeated. People have reported success with felt-tip markers (which I've verified) and Post-It Notes (which I won't try).

2) Mac users can manually eject the CD. In the instance I encoutered, we used the Magic Paper Clip. :)

3) It's not only CD-ROM drives that these discs dislike. A number of high-end home audio players and car-based players can't read them, either.

4) Retailers hate it. The local Best Buy, Circuit City, and Blockbuster Music have all reported record-high "defective disc" returns. Managers at all three stores confirmed some album names with me, and it's clear that this new playback protection is impacting sales. One guy told me that he couldn't play the disc, so he got a refund and pulled the songs down online. That's a GREAT idea, RIAA.

The above are only my own observations, of course. Take them for the anecdotal statements that they are.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:
One guy told me that he couldn't play the disc, so he got a refund and pulled the songs down online.
Ha ha, how ironic

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would suspect that the "magic paper clip" would work, and I doubted the reports that the Mac needed to be sent for repair, but it would be interesting if such a thing really happened. The possible threat of a class action suit would probably stop these copy protected CDs in their tracks.

Perhaps a knowledgable Mac person could comment if there really was a circumstance where the copy protected CD really caused the need for a system repair as was widely reported in the media today. (Most PC users are accustomed to strange lock-ups and would have tried the paper clip trick, but perhaps no Mac owners did?)

If so, I would suggest contacting all of the offending labels and stating that the costs of your repairs be paid by the offending product or that such an action would be undertaken...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres Apple's suggestions to users with locked machines, it seems on some models they have no 'paper clip' eject hole...

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...&val=KC.106882

I'm on side with those that suggest that as tech advances, music distribution methods need to as well. A monthly fee or per use fee to download legal good quality digital files would result in more revenue for the industry, but they argue amongst them selfs, too many middle men.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mike, Nice link THNX....

Testing 123, care to explain a little more on the felt tip pen hack ?? I think it is safe to assume that this forum is acutely hurt and impacted by this and that we do own the media we are ripping... Unless told otherwise I believe discussion on curcumventing copy protection that not only does not allow 'fair use' but basically does not allow HTPC 'any use' should and can be here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.