AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've confirmed through experimentation (see this thread ) and in a phone call with NEC Tech Support that my quasi-ancient NEC Plasma PX-42M5A (aka, 4210w) is incompatible with the copy protection signal present on the 480p/component output of (almost?) every progressive DVD player. Discs with no copy protection play fine in 480p mode. Discs with copy protection are an unwatchable mess. Is there any way I can get around this problem? I.e., do you folks know of a progressive player that somehow squelches the copy protection signal in its 480p/component output? I'm not trying to "do the wrong thing" here, I'm just trying to enjoy 480p on my plasma, which, otherwise works quite fine. Is there a solution or am I, to invoke a colloquialism, completely hosed?

Thanks,

Jim S.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would think you should get a DVD player that is Macrovision-free, or find out if your player can be modded. This solution would yield better quality than an exterior Macrovision-busting device, and would probably be less expensive too.

I'm not talking about a cheapo off-brand player, but a decent name-brand player that has been modded at the store. Try online.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The best place to look is www.jvb.nl. (Their main office is in Holland, but they have a facility in Michigan that ships to US addresses) These guys have modified units of most of the good DVD players in stock or they will take your existing player and mod it. They also have detailed information on the specs of the mods for each specific player. (Some are just region-free, others are region and macrovision-free and others also defeat the more sophisticated copy protection.)

I just installed their DIY mod for my Panny CP-72. Good quick customer service, very clear instructions and the mod worked as advertised. Quite different from some earlier experiences with other people who sell this sort of thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that was the ticket. I purchased a modified Panasonic DVD-XP30 and it works perfectly with my NEC 4210w plasma in progressive mode with all titles. It looks fantastic!

JS

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I must add that this is one of those funny/ironic situations that highlight the arguments against copy protection. One wants to purchase copyrighted material and enjoy it, but to do so one must hack/pirate/mod to get full functionality... it is to laugh!

I have the same 'issue' with my Panny CP72 and a 4210W. I now watch original material with Progressive 'off', but get _better_ quality viewing by watching my dvd-r/burned copies with 480P-output.

[Mini-guide: If you've a dvd-burner (I have a A05 Pioneer), rip with DVDDecryptor to disable MV, transcode with DVD2One or similar, then burn with Copy2DVD/Nero--the PQ of such a copy is identical to original...]

With my old Apex 5131, it was easy to 'mod' it with a firmware hack to make it region/MV-free [ http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/ ]. Does anyone know of any similar approach for a Panny?

If Panny's are difficult to mod for MV/ntsc/progressive, does anyone know of an in-line 'black-box' for component-output that doesn't degrade PQ?

Does anyone know of a 300-disk Progressive changer/player that can be modded?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.