AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that, AFAIK, SACD copy protection has never been broken, but sony's blu-ray was cracked so quickly? Why didn;t they use SACD protection, or am i misinformed?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing any computer compatible SACD drives or software players. Plus I don't think anyone cared about SACD except audiophiles.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/17058476

Why is it that, AFAIK, SACD copy protection has never been broken, but The Blu-ray Disc Association's blu-ray was cracked so quickly? Why didn;t they use SACD protection, or am i misinformed?

fixed

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Many more people were interested in Blu Ray compared to the few who even knew SACD existed. It is a value proposition, plus the fact that there was/is no consumer SACD PC hardware was a big detriment to the even fewer who knew about the format AND were willing to spend resources cracking it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude /forum/post/17065393

DVD-A is broken so the reason is lack of PC hardware. Closest we got is PS3 Linux.

The hypervisor it runs under will probably prevent that sort of hacking attempt. (I'm not saying there's not a way around that, but it'll certainly make things more difficult.)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Not a lot of point if cracking an SACD just to rip it to mp3 to upload to the nearest torrent site. And BD+ ain't broke from the studios perspective.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Before a copy pretection system can be broken, it must be playable on that particular system.

SACD was never licensed to be played on PCs. Without this, discussion about hacking it become irrelevant.

Diogen.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/17066540

And BD+ ain't broke from the studios perspective.

If its purpose is to annoy consumers and push them to Slysoft, then it ain't broke.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/17073714

Like I said from the studios perspective it ain't broke. From my perspective it couldn't be more broke.

Who uses it apart from Fox and Paramount?

From my perspective it's broke, because it renders Blu-ray unplayable on my equipment. What's the purpose of buying or renting Blu-ray if it won't play?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts