AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the member skleiser my Linksys router now allows copying between 2 x 5040's on the same Lan.. Hooray and thanks to him.

I tested sending a 30 minute program (412mb of the BBC world News), saved at Standard (lowest) quality.

With the unit sending and still on watching live TV, I was timing 3 minutes sending just over 50mb. With the unit sending switched off, I was getting 100mb in the same 3 minutes. This means a 1.5gb (about 1 hour medium) will copy in about 45 minutes. The unit recieving was not doing anything else (was at screen saver before I rec'd).

Whilst copying, the sending device just about copes with sluggish menu responses but the picture didn't skip.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea for sending to go automatically without having to say "recieve" when the devices are on the same Lan. After all, it must know I have to run downstairs and I'm the same person :p Better still perhaps, 2 devices should be allowed to "program" a trust relationship between specified units for sending / recieving.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
franc11s. Can you give me the details on the Linksys router settings to make this possible? I played with this a while back but could never get it to work even after opening up several ports.

Thanks,

-Kevin

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure,

For my Linksys BEFW11S4 (wireless router). Make sure you have Firmware upgrade (1.42.7, Apr 23 2002) or the latest one for your router. You'll notice the menus (fonts, layout etc.,) change and many of your settings are lost (thanks Linksys).

Click on Advanced, Click on forwarding. Then forward each port of each device (make sure they are on separate ports) to each IP address of each device (better to use fixed IP address). If 69911 then you enter the range as 69911 to 69911, check the Protocol TCP/IP check box and check the enable checkbox. Do this for each device.

You don't need to set *anything* else like DMZ etc.,. I used a fixed IP in the high range (192.168.1.198) and (192.168.1.197) for each of the 5040's.

Then goto replaytv "menu" and Internet address Book and add. Put in your 00004-xxxxx-xxxxx of the 'other' unit and the red bar should motor across the screen.. and add.... Good Luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
franc11s:

I need some help here also...would you try and help?

I click on ADVANCED - FORWARDING -

Now I am confused: (Forwarding)

Under Ext.Port, in the 10 listings, they all display: 0 to 0

Do I now enter 69911 (making it display 69911 to 69911 ?

I checked the Protocol TCP/IP check box and the Enable checkbox.

Thanks for any help -

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, forwarding. The reason there's a range at all is that often a range or ports would be open. In this case you only need change it so it will say 69911 to 69911 from it's default of 0 to 0..

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Setting the from and to ports to the same values means only THAT point is open and forward to whatever IP is specified. If you think about what's going on...

You set the replayTV to a port, say 69911. When your router sees someone trying to talk to it on that port, it forwards the requests onto the IP address that it's forwarded to. Thats' also how you can tell 2x5040's apart. It's simple really (I hope)if you think about it...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Let me ask a potentially stupid question, please.

Why does the router care about traffic within the LAN. Do your home networks have so much traffic that you need to segment the LAN? Otherwise, why not hook all the devices to a switch (or a $10 hub) and then connect *that* to the router?

Ok, I must be missing something... what is it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
Why does the router care about traffic within the LAN.
To transfer shows physically from one ReplayTV on a LAN to another on the same LAN (uses IVS), the requests have to go out through the Internet, although the actual transfer takes place solely on the LAN. The request to initiate the transfer works just like sharing a show with someone else over the Internet. That's also why some routers won't allow this to work (transferring from one ReplayTV to another over the LAN), something about a request coming from within the LAN and from outside the LAN on the same port is not allowed.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks, Gary.

So some sonicblue server is negotiating the transfer? And this would be distinct from the DVArchive-type operation, which is a pure pull from RP to PC? And no pure pull feature is available between to RPs? And if that server out on the internet decided to stop negotiating the transfer, then transfers wouldn't be possible?

Regards,

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct. The only way 2 replays can talk to each other directly is to go through Sonic Blues servers (outside of your Lan).

Dvarchive, being, the middle man on your Lan doesn't go through the SB servers and thus works internally, no problem.

Bear in mind, this is ONLY needed for copying programs between 2 replays. If you want to watch a show (stream from) held on another device, they talk directly on trhe LAN (not thru the internet) since they don't actually COPY.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I repeat what L8er said. The SB servers are only used to establish the details of the connection (details of each device) before the copy can take place. Once established, the copying is done locally..... Strange but jus tthe way it's been implemented by SB...

·
Registered
123 Posts
one more question....or maybe two more questions... :)

Does it have to be 69911 ? Or can it be any 5 digit number within the range of the router? On my Router for example, the range is 01024 to 65535) thus making the 69911 impossible to input.

Another question...is this how you also set the RPTV up to be able to "send and/or receive" programming?

Thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it's anything but make sure you don't clash with the few known used ports. Stick with 6xxxx, no reason not to.

Once you've done everything, you then add to the address book the Internet Serial Number of the device, starting with probably 00004-xxxxx-xxxxx, that's what allows you to sned/rec'v. etc., Tha'ts it. Go to a saved program and select SEND.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Does DVArchive use the streaming method? Otherwise, can it be modified to act as a middle-man between two local replays?

Thanks for your response, franc11s, regards,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Okay.. I'm confused now. Let me toss this out and then someone correct me:

Let's say I have two 5040s, A and B.

I have A at 192.168.1.10 and B at 192.168.1.11. I configure port forwarding at 60001 for A and 60002 for B.

Now, A and B can transfer shows to any other ReplayTV on the Internet.

A and B also see each other on the local lan and stream.

A and B can also transfer shows to one another just as any other Internet ReplayTV.

No magic involved here right?

Now, let's toss in DVAarchive 5 (the future 5040 version). Does DVAarchive look like a local ReplayTV and only allow streaming .. or can I do some magic and actually transfer shows to AND from it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
DVarchive looks like another Replay for streaming purposes only. When DVarchive initiates a download, the selected Replay just sees another Replay asking for a show to be streamed for watching. The Replay streams the show to DVarchive, who captures it to disk. The sending Replay does not "know" the show is being captured, it "thinks" someone on another replay is just watching it remotely.

DVarchive will also stream a show back to any Replay that asks for it. In this case, however, the Replay only lets you watch, not capture. That is why the download from Replay to DVarchive is one-way; you cannot copy a show back from DVarchive to Replay.

The internet "send" feature is not implemented in DVarchive. This might be a nice way to get a show back on the Replay from DVarchive, but it probably cannot be done because DVarchive does not have a Replay serial number or internet code.

·
Registered
538 Posts
emplye: Thanks for the answers.

I would imagine that faking out the ReplayTV into thinking DVAarchive is an Internet ReplayTV unit would be easy to do by proxy/filtering/modding the RNS server requests. However, if DVarchive doesn't know how to speak the protocol for file transfers....

One more question.... can I take files off of the Replay HD directly (extract_rtv) and have dvarchive serve them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not too strange considering most broadband users have a dynamic IP address and are running NATed. Their server has to match your Internet Identity to your (current ISP assigned) IP. Could be a problem if a lease expires within 24 hours of sending someone a show? Either that, or the SB server would contact the IP that's now been assigned to another broadband customer, and fail to find a Replay...

-Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by franc11s
But I repeat what L8er said. The SB servers are only used to establish the details of the connection (details of each device) before the copy can take place. Once established, the copying is done locally..... Strange but jus tthe way it's been implemented by SB...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.