1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Nice. They will never give up.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
"unleashing an avalanche of digital content"...

At what price? Sounds like the typical promise you get from a politician. It's always for OUR benefit.

Gary

·
Registered
561 Posts
If there has been any doubt Hollywood wants to kill DTV this should remove it. Notice I said DTV let alone HDTV.

http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

I am so disgusted with all of this I believe I am ready to sell off my DVD's, CD's, TV's, and anything else. If they won't let us have it the way I want it. Then I would rather not have it at all. It would be worth me not enjoying the great technology we have now if it meant I could put the Hollywood a$$ho#es out of business.

I am so sick of this BS.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's time for the Americans reading this to start sending concerned letters, emails etc to their congressmen and senators, methinks.

Those of us here on the other side of the Atlantic ocean pretty much know that it's what happens to US law that will control what happens with home entertainment and related items... so here we sit (those of us who know what is going on) and chew on our nails and sweat.

Greed. That's all it comes down to from the MPAA and RIAA. In spite of Star Wars EP2 being available in pirated form on the net days before its premiere, it's still breaking box office records. There is nothing about current copyright protection etc that needs to be fixed in the first place - the rights of the citizens come before the "right" of copyright holders to maintain an iron grip on the material they create.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Orr
Talk about love hate - love them for the content, hate them for the attitude!
Steven, and all, here's something I want to know.

The content industry (mpaa, riaa, etc) is around a 30 billion dollar industry.

The electronics industry is around a 600 billion dollar industry.

Now...how is it that the industry with less $$ gets to push around the industry with more $$ ????

Let them keep their content, they're obviously too afraid to make it available to us. :)

Or, why doesn't the electronics industry form a body of some sort, fund it, and then buy the studios, etc...take over. Then they can distribute the content. :D

(of course, then there's Sony...and we all know what they're willing to do to their CDs to "copy" protect them...now where's that magic marker?)

This digital millenium hype is really getting annoying, and congress will only screw it all up.

-anders.
Support the EFF !

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just way pretty soon they ( RIAA, MPAA ) will have everyone put in jail ( EVERY Single person ) just on the off chance that if they were out free they could copy something of theirs... This would stimulate the economy because then they could put everyone to work while in jail and force them to watch every single move they make while charging them for the privilege. Just think all this time we have been roaming around free we could have been committing crimes, stealing what have you. This new way will make sure we never do that....

I guess its a good thing that the MPAA or RIAA is not in charge the Department of Transportation, we would only be allow to give people in our immediate family rides in our cars it would be illegal to give anyone else a ride. Police would have to stop everyone just to check we would have to wear electronic collars that are keyed to each person and each car.

If it was up to MPAA, or RIAA there would be no library's forcing each and every person to buy a book, movie, tape, cd, dvd.... of course the books and moves and tapes, and cd's and dvds would all be keyed to our electronic collars so only the person that purchased the item would be able to use it. Oh yes I almost forgot we will also have to pay for the privilege of owning the collars, plus a quarterly usage tax.

Its time the MPAA changed the laws!!! no longer will you be Innocent until proven guilty! No we are all guilty.... So says the MPAA!!

Now I am not its right to steal movies and other copy righted things but its also not right and AGAINST the US Constitution to treat everyone as guilty before it is proven.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
anders, of course it is not so much how much money one makes as it is how many politicos one buys with that money. Even Bill Gates, richest man on the planet, discovered he could not afford to ignore Those Who Make All The Rules.

Samuel L. Clemins said it best:

"I believe I can say, and say with pride, that in this country we have some of the highest priced Legislatures going."

Gary

·
Registered
187 Posts
You think that's bad, this is worse!:

MPAA to Senate: Plug the Analog Hole!

Slashdot article:

Quote:
A month ago, the MPAA filed its report with the Senate Judiciary Committee on the terrors of analog copying. I quote: "in order to help plug the hole, watermark detectors would be required in" -- are you sitting down? -- "all devices that perform analog to digital conversions."
So imagine this, your mobile phone will disable itself whilst you are speaking to your friend if you also happen to be listening to a copyrighted track on the radio, to prevent "unathorised" copying of that track. And if they think this is going to prevent piracy, they're beeing quite foolish.

The idiocy of such a proposal is explained more eloquently here:
http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

The MPAA is beginning to really annoy me. Much as I love films and cinema, I feel that if I go and puchases a DVD or go to the cinema, I am merely giving them more money to buy more ridicolous legislature which prevents me from doing anything they dislike.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
The technology of the world is converting from analog to digital and Hollywood doesn't like it.

I think it is hilarious that they think they can stop this transformation by an attempt to outlaw analog to digital converter chips. ;)

They are clueless technophobic luddites. Why is the rest of the world (and Washington) still humoring them?

- Tom

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think they're looking forward to stomping out analogue devices. With digital devices, they can control us. In a truly digital MPAA world, even your speakers will contain copyright protection circuitry.

An ideal MPAA friendly computer wouldn't have analogue outputs at all. You'd plug your MPAA compliant digital speakers into it, so even if you hack your MPAA PC to copy protected material, your speakers will refuse to play it! And then it will report you to the MPAA police.

Oh and don't forget, even if this fails, they'll be back with more. I hear they also want to redesign the internet to give them greater control over their protected copyrighted material.

The annoying thing is this - Copyright is supposed to protect the author of a published work, to encourage them to share their creation, art, etc, to make the world a richer (in knowledge) place.

These new laws do not protect copyright holders. They protect the MPAA and RIAA.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Are they ever going to stop.....they will NEVER EVER stop what they are aiming to do.....they just cant....I wish they would stop trying. It restricts everyone not just the ppl doing it.....man..

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Slau,

Right on brother. The Constitutional justification of copyright is all but ignored by modern copyright law. Encouraging the transfer of knowledge is the real reason for copyright, so it's indefensible from from a Constitutional standpoint to ensure expanding copyright law in order to provide private corporate profits long after the "nut" has been recovered.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not overly worried about this - The MPAA is really kidding themselves if they will ever be enforced. I can just see some joker in the MPAA offices getting a real kick out of everyone getting worked up about this.

There is way to big of a lobby protecting analog to digital conversion for it to be stopped in this manner - even by Hollywood. This has as much chance as the Senator Hollings idiocy.

Just my 2cents.

Larry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, just to share -

A friend pointed out to me today - this week Sony's protection scheme on European CD's was bypassed with a felt-tip pen, and fingerprint ID for computer security was bypassed with "gummy bears".

The good news is that much of this nonsense will self-destruct (I hope).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe geezer Fritz Hollings should be put out to pasture, where he

can enjoy his payoffs gotten from Hollywood bigwigs?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
I'm not overly worried about this - The MPAA is really kidding themselves if they will ever be enforced.
The thing to worry about is what gets negotiated....shooting for the moon is a psychological game.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
...They are clueless technophobic luddites. .

- Tom
Exactly, that's what they ARE. Embodiment of greed and stupidity :mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
This will probably fail, but we know that the MPAA will keep going until they have succeeded.

Everybody laughed at the DMCA, yet that's now law. If everybody just sits back and says "Ah this won't work , I'm not worried", then it probably will succeed due to lack of opposition.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
The thing to worry about is what gets negotiated....shooting for the moon is a psychological game.
True but as in any good arab carpet sale bargaining its all pendulum stuff....

They ask for the earth... Give them a pile of mud ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.