AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pawed through most of Karnis's excellent thread, but one I couldn't find the answer to (it may be there) is this:

What resolution should be used for WM9 1080 demo clips?

This works fine, for WM9, desktop and DVDs:

540p, widescreen mode

overscan adjusted

880x496=880,112,40,96,496,25,1,41,37823,3088

But it isn't all that impressive, since the resolustion is just better than standard def DVD (although perfect without any compression issues....like near 1:1 pixel mapping quality)

So I have also tried an adjusted form of this 1800X540:

PowerStrip timing parameters: DVD 540p

1800x540p=1800,148,96,244,540,7,1,15,77220,272

This looks better for DVDs, but needs keep aspect ratio unchecked for full screen veiwing (as discussed in Kanis's PS thread). BUT through WM9 it is squeezed even in full screen mode, just like the desktop.

Is there some aspect ratio deselect option I can't find? or am I stuck at 880X496, improved over a great DVD transfer, but not by much?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
From the resolutions you stated I'm guessing you have a display like many RPTV's that can do 1080i. Have you tried that?

Otherwise WMP seems pretty stuck on assuming square pixels, and doesn't like RPTV's in progressive modes. But you might at least get a better horizontal resolution out of Zoom Player.

- Tom

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trbarry,

Thanks, I think you are right....

I think for media, I can get some good looking high rez playback with a 1080i setting if I can get the proper settings, but right now media is cutoff.

I have one set up and it looks like it will work great (a nice full, non overscanned flickering hi rez windows desktop)

Only problem is when I play DVD or WM9 file, it is cut in half (I think I am seeing the top left quarter of the image), the desktop still is fine but the image being played is cropped.

I have a Radeon and tried tiling on and off and tried the suggested sony driver. Is there some other setting? It looks like the something thinks I am in progressive settings and PS says interlaced.....

tearing out my hair!!!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I don't have a Radeon in my HTPC so I'm only talking from what I've read here. But if you are trying for 1080i support there are various threads on it. A couple tricks are needed and it only works on selected versions of the drivers.

If you search you can probably find it.

- Tom

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was definately a problem due to the Cat 3.10 not doing the correct interlace overlay.

The 3.4s worked perfectly.

You will note I am posting this on a few threads.....I beat myself up because some people were reporting the 3.10s worked fine for interlace overlay, when in fact at least on my setup, media was cropped and zoomed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.