AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a cordless keyboard/mouse with greater than 4-6 feet of range; more like 15-30'. What should I be looking at?

Willie

Cheesehead

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard. I use it reliablably at about 10' - it's supposed to have at least a 30' range though ( I think). I imagine any bluetooth keyboard would be similar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a Gyration package which includes a keyboard about the size of a laptop's and a mouse. Both have served me extremely well for just over a year.

My apartment features a mixture of concrete and plaster walls, depending on the room. Depending on the location of the RF transmitter, my range varies from 9-26 feet (the former includes walking into an equipment closet, while the latter is measured walking past more a/v equipment into a large living room/gallery area).

I have heard other folks mention various solutions, so I'd say that there are likely a number of excellent products out there. I'd try them before you select (it take less than five minutes to connect the various MS and Gyration products to a computer at a CC or BBuy...XP Pro recognized everything without the Gyration disc, anyway. So, you should be able to connect the transmitter and see if that high RF environment at one of those B&M stores allows for a reasonable signal (especially I think because both stores would consider this a restocking fee-based product if you returned it).

PS: The mouse shows not an iota of lesser charge capability after a year and I've only recharged the batts in the keyboard three times!

Good luck!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Seger
I use a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard. I use it reliablably at about 10' - it's supposed to have at least a 30' range though ( I think). I imagine any bluetooth keyboard would be similar.
Ditto - except mine is a Logitech bluetooth.

I use it for FPS gaming, where no-lag performance is critical, and it's never been a problem. I use it mostly at around 12'. Max distance in my room is around 20' with no problems. I think it would go 30', as long as there aren't any obstructions.

DE

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too use the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo. It's fantastic all around. I can go into another room 30' + away and it still works fine (not that I need to). FPS gaming works well. Not exactly the cheapest solution, but I have no regrets.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
My vote is for an IR keyboard.

I get over 20' easily, and it can be made RF with many different IR-RF transcievers like the Leapfrog or X10/Terk pyramid transceivers.

Also, you can teach a learning remote the IR keyboard keystrokes.

The de facto IR standard for media PC use is the LiteOn SK-7xxx series, also known as the "Airboard".

The SK-7100, 7500, and 7551 all use the same IR codes and compatible receivers.

Search ebay for airboard or any of the part numbers above. They can be had for abour $30-$35 shipped.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm not sure who makes it but the wireless KB & mouse I got with my March '03 Dell seems to have very good range .... I took the KB to the living room to clean it without removing the batteries ... the screen was filled all sorts of garbage when I went back to the computer room; a good 25 feet distant. :eek:

Added to that it still has the original set. I have since been using rechargables for the mouse ... 2 to 3 weeks max on alkalines.

YMMV

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
logitech has a couple new bluetooth mouse/keyboard combos on their site now

except these have laser mice included instead of optical

might be something worth waiting for

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
My Logitech diNovo bluetooth keyboard works awesome, and my HTPC is 20' away in a different room, behind a wall that used to be an exterior wall and hence has all kinds of insulation.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your imput.

Let me complicate it by adding that I would like use the keyboard/mouse with 2 computers. I currently I use a Belkin switch with a cordless Logitech with limited range to control both my HTPC and my file server; they are both outputting to my CRT through a Zektor. This may be a stupid question, but, is there a way to use a bluetooth device on two computers by switching device ID's on the fly?

Willie

Packer Fan (if you are a Viking fan, don't hold it against me)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Funny...I'm a Vikings fan and I'm looking for the same thing. I'd love to have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse that I could use with multiple computers just by flipping a switch or two.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not sure if that would work, but you could always use remote control software to operate the file server from the HTPC. Something like VNC or Remote Desktop.

This is assuming they're both on the network, of course.

DE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.