AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish this forum had a "GENERAL" section to post questions like this because I wasn't sure where to ask it.

Anyway, my Panasonic cordless phone batteries suck. I have tried fully charging then using the phone till batteries expire then fully charging so the battery does not develop a memory. This didn't work. I have also tried just leaving the phone on the charger most of the time which seems to work better, but still not great on battery life.

Is it normal for cordless phone batteries to only last 6 months or so?

How do you guys get your batteries to last?

Are there any cordless phones with Lithium ion or other types of batteries that may work better?

This drives me nuts.

Scott

·
Registered
771 Posts
What panny phones do you have?

The older (2 years ago) ones had crappy batteries (NiCad). The new ones that I have use NiMH. These are great batteries. My older Siemens system had these and they had a lifetime of about 5 years before they started to lose their juice.

You can get NiMH replacements for the old panny phones. Do a google search. They're more expensive but they will make your phone usable.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcgrath
What panny phones do you have?

The older (2 years ago) ones had crappy batteries (NiCad). The new ones that I have use NiMH. These are great batteries. My older Siemens system had these and they had a lifetime of about 5 years before they started to lose their juice.

You can get NiMH replacements for the old panny phones. Do a google search. They're more expensive but they will make your phone usable.
The phones use Panasonic P-P511 Ni-Cd batteries. In 2 years I've gone through at least 2 batteries in each phone.

So a NiMH battery will work ok and last longer? I guess I can give 'em a try.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Scott,

I have the Panasonic phones as wells and had the same battery problems. I ordered some new ones from Batteries.com and not one has dies since. I can't remember the numbers off-hand, but the new batteries had way more of the numbers used to measure the strength.

The ones I got are made by Energizer and are model ER-P511. They are Nmhd.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
Scott,

I have the Panasonic phones as wells and had the same battery problems. I ordered some new ones from Batteries.com and not one has dies since. I can't remember the numbers off-hand, but the new batteries had way more of the numbers used to measure the strength.

The ones I got are made by Energizer and are model ER-P511. They are Nmhd.

Good luck.
Thanks, I oredered 2 Nmhd batteries last night on Ebay. About $15 for the two shipped. That's less than I paid for one of the Panasonic stock batteries. I hope I have the same success as you because I love the phones.

Scott

·
Registered
771 Posts
The panny wireless phones are the best. Unfortunately for a while they shipped with crappy batteries. The new ones are much better. I think you'll find that NiCd batteries was the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Internet is truly amazing! I just found out why the two Panasonic phones I have at home never stay charged! I have a new one at the office that works very well. Yup, two are the older batteries and the new phone has the NiMH batteries. Now I know what to do! Thank you, all!

I'm also amazed at this site. Very well done, who-ever you are.

Joanne

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I had the same problem. Replaced them with some higher cap. Duracell (or Energizer) made batteries and they have worked very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A timely discussion....my P511 battery pack can't even last a 10 minute phone conversation. The batteries may be getting better but I don't seem to have the range with the new 5.6 phones compared to the older 2.4 units. Steve

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
That's the nature of the beast, frequency. The higher the frequency the more power it takes to go the same distance. It also becomes more line of sight. My old Sony digital 900mhz has way better range than my Panny 5 ghz. I really wish someone would make those again. A great selling point could be 'won't interfere with your wireless computer network!'

·
Registered
196 Posts
We bought the Panasonic 2.4ghz system almost 2 years ago with 4 phones, and bought 2 ER-P511 batteries a month after that. The NIMH batteries are far superior to the NICD ones, with more talk time and no discernable power loss in that time. The NICD's, however, are only good for quick conversations.

Also, I use 802-511a for my wireless so it doesn't have as much range and doesn't get interference from my phones, baby monitor, or microwave. Not all wireless computer networks are on 2.4ghz. And sometimes a smaller range is better.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a few weeks with the Nmhd batteries and all is good. One phone held a charge for a week. I recommend these to anyone using the stock Panny batteries.

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
I stumbled on this old thread during a search for RPTV bulb life and just had to respond to it.

I have a Sony cordless SPP-ID910 that has three Z9J Ni-Cd batteries in a factory BP-T23 battery pack. It states 3.6vdc at 600mah.

The crazy thing is I bought this phone around 1999 and the battery pack is still working fine in 2006. Both my wife and I are amazed and have commented on the battery life many times when we talk about getting a new phone. We try our best to leave it on the charger at all times and I'm sure this is why it has lasted so long. The phone is starting to have problems losing signal resulting in searching the channels, but if you pull the antenna out and push it back down it works like a champ. I have also noticed that it won't hold a charge as long as it used to but it works just fine and as long as it keeps going we won't replace it.

I'm so amazed I just had to share this info. If I don't get rid of the land line with a cell phone I just hope Sony phones are still this good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.