AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my main HTPC is a core 2 duo E8400 based system which is on 24/7. I also have a 1090T based system sitting idle right now. I was thinking of swapping the guts of the 1090T system into my HTPC case and using that as my main system. This would also mean a bump from 4GB of RAM to 8GB. The main use is watching DVDs and Blu-rays as well as acting as the primary DVR using a Ceton CableCard tuner. Anyone see any issues with swapping to the 1090T. Obviously I'll be doing a clean Win 7 install. Also of concern is the power consumption since the system is on 24/7. The E8400 is a 65w processor while the 1090T is listed as a 125w processor. Not sure how that would effect my electric bill?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Wouldn't you want to have the 1090T on your primary system? Given your mentioned usage, I can't think of why you would need a 1090T on your HTPC. Either would work just fine as HTPC but personally, I'd want the faster build for my primary desktop and not sitting around not getting used to full potential on the HTPC.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Core i5 2500k Win7/Hackintosh as my main desktop which replaced the 1090T. So the 1090T is sitting in a closet. I figured I'd replace the old Core 2 Duo in the HTPC.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER /forum/post/20810221

I have a Core i5 2500k Win7/Hackintosh as my main desktop which replaced the 1090T. So the 1090T is sitting in a closet. I figured I'd replace the old Core 2 Duo in the HTPC.

Gotcha. Either will work well enough. Idle power consumption would probably be around the same. This is one of those cases where it doesn't really matter whether you go one way or the other so just do whatever makes you happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.