AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a HTPC and for a variety of reasons, I want it to be an i7 based system. I realize this is a bit overkill / problematic (due to power/noise) for a HTPC but I want to stay with this now because I think the guts will be repurposed a year or two down the line as a regular desktop. This will be an i7 920, likely running at stock speeds and not always running 24x7. It will be in a standard HTPC case which I've yet to select.

In terms of advice, I'm hoping for,

- for HTPC duties or within a HTPC oriented case, what X58 motherboard would you recommend? To be honest, I don't think this will matter much.

- suggestions on a CPU cooler biased toward quiet (versus high cooling ability for overclockers)

I already have RAM, hard drive, etc., and a spare radeon 4850 (fairly quiet) that I will use until the HDMI audio situation sorts itself out better.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
I have ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, and a ASUS P6T full ATX in my Silverstone LC16M. The standard P6T is ideal, but if you're looking for mATX there's their Rampage II Gene. I do prefer Asus mobos.

For a cpu cooler I use Zalman CNPS9500A. BTW the Asus P6T is the only X58 mobo that I know that accepts socket 775 coolers, so you don't need to buy one. The i7 920 runs cooler than the first stepping Q6600 that I had.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts
Core i5 LGA1156 (Lynnfield) is released on September 8th along with a couple of Core i7 LGA1156 (Lynnfield) processors.

- Core i7 870 (8 Threads/2.93GHz/TB 3.60GHz/L3 8MB/dual channel DDR3/95W) $562

- Core i7 860 (8 Threads/2.80GHz/TB 3.46GHz/L3 8MB/dual channel DDR3/95W) $284

- Core i5 750 (4 Threads/2.66GHz/TB 3.20GHz/L3 8MB/dual channel DDR3/95W) $196

Current Core i7 920 LGA1366 (Bloomfield):

- Core i7 920 (8 Threads/2.66GHz/TB 2.79GHz/L3 8MB/triple channel DDR3/130W) $284

If you want to save $90, Core i5 is a good choice. However it does not support HyperThreading technology, which could be a serious drawback in some applications, e.g. x264 encoding (still faster than the fastest Phenom II X4):

(the figure from AnandTech: The Lynnfield Preview: Rumblings of Revenge .)

Core i7 920 will be discontinued and will be replaced with Core i7 860 (the socket is different though) which will be mostly faster than i7 920 and will be the way to go if you can wait till September. If you can't wait, just buy Core i7 920 now, and you won't regret it.

BTW the number of threads (instead of the number of cores) is one of the key points in branding.

- i7 = 8 threads, Turbo Boost (4 cores [Lynnfield])

- i5 = 4 threads, Turbo Boost (4 cores [Lynnfield]/2 cores [Clarksdale])

- i3 = 4 threads, no Turbo Boost (2 cores [Clarksdale])

Clarksdale is a 32nm dual-core processor integrating not only memory controller and PCI Express controller but also graphics processor (Q1 2010).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I concur. The Lynnfield platform costs will be cheaper and lower thermals as well, as there is no longer a northbridge + southbridge to finance or power, just the PCH.

About the only caveat is if you want to run 2 x16 graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire mode. Unlikely to be supported on the Lynnfield platform, but the Bloomfield/Gulftown should continue to offer support.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went through 3 of the P6T motherboards and never got one to work right, it would reboot, even in the Bios so I swapped it for the ATI rampage MB and it has never given me any problems

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzz /forum/post/16856059

I went through 3 of the P6T motherboards and never got one to work right, it would reboot, even in the Bios so I swapped it for the ATI rampage MB and it has never given me any problems

Happened to me with the P6T Deluxe v2 in my tower case and a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 cooler. I got all sorts of weird problems like the mobo failing to detect graphic cards or randomly not detecting all memory, and of course random reboots, BSODs, etc.

After countless trials found that the (heavy) Noctua was the culprit, as I had installed it with its 2 securing screws horizontally aligned (I needed this to manage air flow in my LianLi tower case with inverted vertical motherboard position). This way the Noctua was slightly bending the motherboard so that some pins in the 1366 socket were not making contact with the Core i7 920. I knew the P6T Deluxe was OK because it worked fine when setup horizontally in my Zalman HD160, so I just repositioned the screws so as to be vertically aligned and the MB has not failed me once ever since.

If you search through the web you'll find countless stories like this. Maybe it's a design problem that will eventually get fixed with next 1366 MBs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am also building a htpc using core i7.

Since i will put it in a matx case as the Monueal Moncaso 312(black) i will not overclock it in a way to produce to much heat.

The best motherboard that i found for it will be

*** Asus Rampage Gene II matx***

I did not find a memory with low latency at reasonable price.(at 1600 mhz)

The graphic card will be the : Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, HDMI, VGA Support, Low Profile Bracket!

And the sound card to appreciate the full lenght of bluray sound without compression: Asus XONAR HDAV Slim

the power supply(one of most silence of the world): Enermax 82+ 625w

Now i have a little worry: the gpu card that i choose are not able to do sli but if i put 2 of them 1 for render the graphic base ; one for the Nvidia Physix (the price here not an issue), is it a good idea?

I try to have best of both word: small and powerfull with the minimum of heat and noise.

Please give me your impression.

Thx.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALBUSYBEE /forum/post/16857868

The graphic card will be the : Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, HDMI, VGA Support, Low Profile Bracket!

And the sound card to appreciate the full lenght of bluray sound without compression: Asus XONAR HDAV Slim

Thx.

Ouch!, that card might give you trouble with the Slim and latest Nvidia drivers. Actually the 9800gt is just an almost rebadged version of the 8800gt and HDAVs don't seem to like Geforce 8 cards + newest drivers. Of course it would be a matter of trial and error with older drivers, but I'd suggest grab a low profile 9600gt or even ATI 4xxx.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/16856034

About the only caveat is if you want to run 2 x16 graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire mode. Unlikely to be supported on the Lynnfield platform, but the Bloomfield/Gulftown should continue to offer support.

Yup, Lynnfield supports only CrossFire/SLI x8. Some high-end P55 mbs (such as MSI G9P55-DC) are equipped with the nForce 200 chip (PCI Express switch) that enables CrossFire/SLI x16.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx99 /forum/post/16852938

- for HTPC duties or within a HTPC oriented case, what X58 motherboard would you recommend? To be honest, I don't think this will matter much.

Anything from EVGA. Hands-down the best. I have a Classified in my desktop, but that's nuts top-of-the-line. You want one of their lower-end and smaller X58s.

Quote:

- suggestions on a CPU cooler biased toward quiet (versus high cooling ability for overclockers)

Anything by Scythe:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Personally I use the Katana 3 in my desktop. Dead quiet fan at low loads, small, automatic, at full blast can keep the CPU at 65c on max Prime95 even overclocked.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a heatsink that requires you to attach additional plates or whatever to the motherboard. Just stick to those with the traditional Intel plastic clips. I learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merzbow /forum/post/16859153

do NOT buy a heatsink that requires you to attach additional plates or whatever to the motherboard. Just stick to those with the traditional Intel plastic clips. I learned the hard way.

What's wrong with backplate? Which cooler caused an issue with your Classified?

Every single cooler designed specifically for LGA1366 (except for the stock cooler and Zalman's; who on earth would want to use crappy Intel plastic clips in a high-end system?) uses a backplate and I don't see any backplate-related complaint even from EVGA Classified users.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:

Check Cooler Master Geminii S . Simply (one of) the best cooler(s) for a >= 95W processor + a normal HTPC case. You will need a LGA1366 bracket (sold separately).

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALBUSYBEE /forum/post/16857868

Hi everyone!

I am also building a htpc using core i7.

Since i will put it in a matx case as the Monueal Moncaso 312(black) i will not overclock it in a way to produce to much heat.

Please give me your impression.

Thx.

Uh Core i7 with a 9800gt? Sad. Very sad. That graphics card does not do that CPU justice. Either get a cheaper CPU/chipset or get a better graphics card.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 /forum/post/16860082

Uh Core i7 with a 9800gt? Sad. Very sad. That graphics card does not do that CPU justice. Either get a cheaper CPU/chipset or get a better graphics card.

No big deal, GFX cards are constantly upgraded, and the "old" ones get cheap real fast. On the other hand corei7 will last for some time to come.

And if your not gaming the 9800gt will be big time over kill anyways.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16859900

What's wrong with backplate? Which cooler caused an issue with your Classified?

Every single cooler designed specifically for LGA1366 (except for the stock cooler and Zalman's; who on earth would want to use crappy Intel plastic clips in a high-end system?) uses a backplate and I don't see any backplate-related complaint even from EVGA Classified users.

No offense, but that's total nonsense. All of the Scythe coolers, which are the best in the business according to Frostytech, use the Intel clips. Who wants to remove their motherboard to swap out a heatsink? Someone on this thread has already told how a custom heatsink attachment warped their motherboard. In my case, it was a Xigmatek Dark Knight with a bunch of idiotic spring screws that did not secure the heatsink to the CPU properly, resulting in runaway temperature (luckily, I suspected this would happen, so I booted into the BIOS first and watched CPU temps rise into the 70s at idle before I pulled the plug.) I've had two aftermarket Intel-clip heatsinks on my CPU so far and both have performed amazingly well under overclocking scenarios.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merzbow /forum/post/16860228

No offense, but that's total nonsense. All of the Scythe coolers, which are the best in the business according to Frostytech, use the Intel clips. Who wants to remove their motherboard to swap out a heatsink? Someone on this thread has already told how a custom heatsink attachment warped their motherboard. In my case, it was a Xigmatek Dark Knight with a bunch of idiotic spring screws that did not secure the heatsink to the CPU properly, resulting in runaway temperature (luckily, I suspected this would happen, so I booted into the BIOS first and watched CPU temps rise into the 70s at idle before I pulled the plug.) I've had two aftermarket Intel-clip heatsinks on my CPU so far and both have performed amazingly well under overclocking scenarios.

Hmm, most enthusiasts hate to see heavily warped mb PCB by Intel pushpins, but there seems to be exceptions.

Tulli's issue is due to not backplate, but mb slight bending by a heavy cooler.

As for Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V, I have never seen your problem in my system and almost all users will object to your opinion (check Newegg customer reviews ).

BTW Scythe finally abandoned Intel pushpins (perhaps [partly] because of lots of complaints from users) and adopted bolt-thru installation/backplate with MUGEN-2. The opinion of Silent PC Review summarizes those of average (enthusiast) users:

Quote:
Most importantly, this big heatsink sports a simple bolt-thru installation procedure. It is Scythe's first serious departure from stock Intel plastic push-pins in many years.

While Scythe practically invented the massive CPU heatsink, most of them use stock LGA775 pushpin and AMD tension-clip mounts. These mounting methods are fine for regular-sized coolers, but peace of mind quickly goes out the window in the face of gravity acting on a 15-16cm tall aluminum/copper tower weighing almost 1kg and sitting on a processor worth hundreds of dollars. With the Mugen-2, installation on any of the compatible sockets requires the heatsink to be bolted down with steel machined screws to a spider-like steel backplate. This is a major improvement over plastic push-pins and stock mounting clips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Anyone who wants to risk destroying their MB and CPU by taking it out of a case and applying a bunch of backplates and screws probably designed by a couple of inexperienced designers (as opposed to what a couple thousand Intel engineers deem is acceptable) is welcome to the consequences... as is anyone who overclocks their CPU to the extent they need a 3-pound heatsink instead of cooling it with water as is proper at 4ghz and beyond...

Oh, and 99% of those Dark Knight reviews are not on 1366 boards, I bet. And oh, Scythe is still putting out plenty of heatsinks with clips, my Katana 3 is a brand new model.

Mod's edit - Racial remark removed.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merzbow /forum/post/16860365

Anyone who wants to risk destroying their MB and CPU by taking it out of a case and applying a bunch of backplates and screws

Oh, and 99% of those Dark Knight reviews are not on 1366 boards, I bet. And oh, Scythe is still putting out plenty of heatsinks with clips, my Katana 3 is a brand new model.

Dark Knight-S1283V is more or less the same as HDT-S1283 with a LGA1366 bracket included. Naturally many Dark Knight users are also LGA1366 users (LGA775 users don't need Dark Knight with $10-20 price premium). In fact 43 people among 165 Dark Knight reviewers at Newegg (over 25%) explicitly stated they were using LGA1366. The majority of them are very satisfied with the cooler and none of them complained that it destroyed the mb. I see how biased you are.

Pushpins should be good for "regular"-sized coolers like Katana 3 (

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.