AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- The problem with my home theater room (family room) is that my house has an open floor plan concept. Therefore, very little wall space exists. Of the wall space available (mostly rear wall), that will be devoted to installing 2x4 rigid fiberglass acoustic panels. However, these panels are not designed aborb to the low frequencies.

I only have 2 rear corners available in a 20'x20' room. I was considering something on the order of what the pro acoustic companies offer: a rigid fiberglass 'square' pedestal style bass trap, approximately 12"w x 48"h.

What is the most effective type of bass trap I can place in the corners that are limited in space? Does anyone have any thoughts on this style, or any other suggestions? Thank you.

George

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Ethan, would there be any benefit to filling the gap where a panel is straddling the corner with insulation? Or does that wasted space provide some benefit?

Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can you recess anything in your floor? My HT is in the basement and I have dug out the floor in an area in front of my speakers to act as a bass trap. If this is possible I have details.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ethan- Thanks for the link. I'll check out your article & see which way works best for me. ditto on Brian's question: Does filling behind a rigid fiberglass panel help, or is the air gap more beneficial?

Would this panel trap design be better or worse in bass absorption performance than the square style, given my narrow wall area constraints?

Main- sorry, can't cut holes in the floor.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm subscribing to the thread because I'm interested in Ethan's answer to Brian's question. I'm planning on building corner bass traps.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It would probably help if it was compressed fiberglass.

I think you can buy the rigid fiberglass panels as thick as 4 inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.