Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

See the attached photo.

This is the front wall of my family room where I want a motorized screen to extend down from under a cornice. The projection screen case will mount either to the wall or the ceiling, above the window casing, centered between the windows. The distance from the ceiling to the top of the casing is 9.5" and to the bottom of the casing it is 14". The screen size will be either a 92" X 52" or a 96" X 54". The screen's edges will be slightly to the outside of the center of each window, when extended. The black border at the top will start just below the casing.

I assume I will need a cornice or a valance of some type to span from the outside edge of one window to the outside edge of the other, maybe slightly farther. Also, there is a ceiling vent located 6.5" from the wall, so the front edge of the cornice cannot extend out from the wall farther than this. The cornice will have to extend from the ceiling down to the lower edge of the casing: 14" tall cornice, ~ 6.5" deep - max (need returns on the ends), and ~ 140" wide.

The room has a southwest decore. I am trying to determine what type of cornice or valance to use. I thought of wood with the typical southwest or Aztec geometric cutouts and stapling the same window treatment fabric to the back so that it shows though the cutouts. I have a concern that a 14" tall wooden cornice extending from the ceiling would look odd - not sure? I thought of fabric, perhaps one of the colors used in the window treatments? I thought of some type of wooden blinds or a small curtain, acting as a valance.

Also, there is a picture window on an adjoining wall with the same window treatments. Would I have to recreate the cornice on that window, as well for symmetry?

As you can tell, this is more of a decorating question rather than a fabrication or installation question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much imagination when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well what i have done is i built window boxes.. basicly i built shelves above the windows. 3x4"x6" pressed wood and the top is 12" which boxes 8" i built two of them since i have 2 windows i will be putting these around.. you can use the cornice to dress it up.. total cost for two was 40 bucks.. this is without treatment meaning cornice molding which will add but not much considering. this will give me about 8" depth and 6" height. perfect for a pull down if i move it over.. i am actually going to mount the pj on top of the shelf so its out of the way and will be less noticeable.. but i am also thinking of building me anouther on the opp wall and make a kitty run for the kitties to play around with.. def cant have the pj up on it though..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
sorry but after looking at the pic again i think what i have done will bring the two windows together as well.. ill try to get a pic f what i have done as soon as i mount them on the windows.. i just built them today and havent painted them or anything but i cant wait to get them up..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I have a better idea now that I've seen it. Not sure it will work for my application - need to give it more thought. You got me thinking in a different direction.

Thanks again,

Greg

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Gregory:

We own a business that specializes in this type work, so I might be able to give you some thoughts.

http://www.kathiejohnson.com/

First of all, what you are thinking of doing is perfectly appropriate. A cornice would look fine there. A 14" cornice would be appropriate, I wouldn't want to see it less than 12". We would normally make it about 4" deep (out from the wall), but your screen requirements will determine the depth. 6 1/2" would be fine. We once made one 21" deep to accomodate a hugh screen plus two layers of blinds and some draperies.

It would be best to match the cornice on the other set of windows.

Materials are a decorating choice. You could upholster it with the same fabric as is in the shades, making it completely cloth covered, or you could make it from the same wood as your wainscoting, or you could do it as you have suggested with cutouts. It would be better not to use a solid color as it gets to looking like a big blob. If you're going to use a solid color from the shades, you need to put a band of matching (shade) fabric on it, or something to break it up.

One thing I sometimes do is make a mock-up from cardboard and put it in place so I can judge how it is going to look. We did a lot of mock-ups getting our own home theater proportioned correctly.

http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html

Deane

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deane,

Thanks for your advice......greatly appreciated! Thanks for steering me away from the solid color idea......the banding sounds much better. Still not sure which way to go. Maybe I should make some mock-ups, as you suggest.

I checked out your home theater site......WOW, very nice. You have decided to call attention to the screen area, even when the drapes are closed......a major focal point. As you said, home theater is #1, living room is #2. I, on the other hand, am trying to hide the existence of the screen. I'm trying to avoid the, "oh, what are you hiding under there?" I suppose that's where duplicating the cornice on the other window helps. I love the feeling of the room when I'm not using it to watch movies, especially in the winter with the fireplace going. I don't want to loose that cozyness. Right now it doesn't look to cozy with that exercise bike in the room......just temporary, as we get another room built.

This is funny! I viewed your sreen masking diagram an photos and said, " boy is that familar". I went up to my favorites and clicked on a masking link that I bookmarked a couple of weeks ago from Hometheater forum. Yep, the same one...it was your site! I didn't notice at the time, that it was part of a bigger site.

It's very cool when a custom window treatment business knows home theater!

Thanks again,

Greg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yea that was my idea as well.. hide the screen from being seen and also the pj. i want everything as hidden as possible. but i am thinking for the screen i might just make me a screen using some material like lycra and then putting a big canvas over it but since i am still working on the room but as far as for the pj the cornice was the best idea i could find on how to do it without a mount.. as far as treatment i am planing on some plants and material as deane as pointed out.. just when you decide what you are going to do let us know. if im not done by then i just might be looking for new ideas hehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.