AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
The kids already like playing the old Wii on it.

Also sold my 6 year old Sharp Aquos 60" LCD TV for $300 bones! My daughter is holding all the cash!
She'll need it. A new lamp is $180.
You might want to hook the old Wii back up to a TV.
;)
BTW, those new subs make your sausage sub look like a toy.
Great job!
Michael

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
She'll need it. A new lamp is $180.
You might want to hook the old Wii back up to a TV.
;)
BTW, those new subs make your sausage sub look like a toy.
Great job!
Michael
If we use it that much I'll be happy to buy one! (Until I actually have to for over the money).

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Installed. I'm one speakon connector short! Be here tomorrow. Haven't had time to play with them due to it being Easter and all. I need to order up some fabric to cover the pink insulation, fan mod the inuke 6000dsp and have lots of tuning to do. Happy Easter!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I reengineered the way my screen is mounted. I originally had floor to ceiling 2x4's that the screen mounted to. This was way over kill. The screen doesn't weigh that much. I cut the 2x4's down to 24" and screwed them back into place. The problem then is that the screen wants to lean back at the bottom so I added some wood and leftover weather stripping to the wood to make a perfect little spacer that minutes to the screen bracket that then mounts at the bottom on the screen. Each rests on a sub and keeps the screen nice and perpendicular to the projector.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This won't cause vibrations in bass-heavy scenes (we know how you are ;))?
Michael
Luckily, I braced the heck out of my cabs and have them resting on carpet padding. I haven't seen the screen vibrate yet. If it does, that would be kinda cool. ;-)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Great thread. Build looks awesome. Any downsides going from a TV to a projector? Start up time, brightness, keeping the room dark, etc?

Thanks!

My basement is pretty much light controlled. Picture is outstanding. Sitting 12’ from the 60” tv was not at all immersive. Sitting 12’ from a 120” screen and having the sound blast through it is really awesome. The only thing is the projector does make some fan noise that varies with brightness and it lets off some light through the fan ports besides what is hitting the screen. It isn’t a big deal but it is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think once the stands are done and I have the rubber fee installed I will build some sort of “hush box” for the projector. The variable fan noise is a little annoying. This being my first projector means I’m not used to any noise during quiet scenes or low volume tv watching. More to come on this.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Finally started to rebuild the top panel for the top of the screen. It's 111" x 18.5". I am working on either wedging it into place either some foam strips to create a spring effect or I may screw it into the ceiling, this would leave a slight gap above the screen so the screen can be removed or I may rework the 2x4's to align with the braces in the frame and do some Velcro to hold the frame in place.

To make the frame I bought some 2x4 x 10' lumber and ripped it lengthwise into lumber that ended up 1.5" x 1.5". This keeps the frame pretty light but plenty strong. I used wood glue and pocket screws with my kreg jig to file and bold it all up. I then hit the whole thing with my 3/8" roundover router but and gave it a coat of black paint. It's a Sherwin Williams black base latex enamel. I love how black this stuff gets although going on it has a blue-ish color it dries super black. I used the same paint on my fusion8's and speaker stands. Only downside is it does take more time to dry. Once I figure out how to secure this into place, I'll need to wrap it with the black stretch Velvet I bought from Joann fabric. I'm considering doing a 2" pleat that repeats starting from the center moving out to the ends. Hoping to get some feedback on that idea.

Thanks,

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, nothing is ever easy. I went to test fit the panel and it hit the soffit. I wanted it to sit square and even on the screen. So I did a little modding. I didn't take a pic but I added another piece back in that was cut lengthwise at a 45 so it would clear the soffit.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts