AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Got the panel covered with Joann fabric stretch Velvet. Got it up there and am going to order some Velcro to keep it from falling over.

I also got the bottom panel made and made up a door for equipment access.

Need to figure out how to do the hinge for this little door. I want it to be hidden.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Drilled through the top and bottom and made my own "hinge". I routed the door so it would swing. I test fit it and as I suspected the floor is not perfectly level. So it pressure fits on one side and not on the other. Also since the screen just hangs and has blocks at the bottom holding it away from the subs the whole frame wants to slide outof place, especially when the door swings. I have a plan though, I'm going to add some boards bottom along with a vertical brace on each board to keep the frame at a 90 to the floor. The boards will slide under the subs and have felt pads on top and bottom to keep the panel isolated. That should make it pretty sturdy.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Decision time. Make the side panels parallel to the screen or angle them back away from the screen towards the angled wall? Will having them parallel to the screen help with absorbing light? Or is this a purely aesthetic decision? Help!

While weighing all of the options due to the overwhelming response of the forum, I reworked my little door so the fabric went the same way as the rest of it so it blends much better.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finally designed the side panels. Was wringing my hands about whether to do them or to just put curtains on the sides. I may end up doing both depending on what the wife will like but at least this will finish it off and we’ll go from there. I used sketch up because they will buttup to a 45deg wall and I’m using 1.5 x 1.5 “stock” so it would get tricky for a beginner like me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Finally got to work on these side panels today. Remember, measure twice, test fit thrice and you'll have no issues. The goal for me is to be able to completely remove the entire setup with minimal repairs. Should we ever sell the house I can give buyers the option to keep it as is or revert it to a TV on the wall with inwall speakers. Doing this means working around the trim which was not easy for me. Luckily I was able to create a 45 deg angle wall complete with trim in SketchUp and design my panel around it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
And they fit. Just need to cover them with the black Velvet.

No, the Fusion 8's don't fit there because of the angled wall. :-( I have moved the seating closer to achieve 22.5deg as per spec.

Wife wants the option to do custom curtains above and to the sides of the screen. I hope the side panels change her mind.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Wow! Just, really great work man!

Thanks!

I should update with the new ceiling.

Promar 400 scared me in the first coat. You could see every line and it does like a chalk board. The second coat saved the day, lines mostly disappeared. If you touch this stuff you can't wash it clean. It'll leave a mark. You have to go over it with more paint. I think it's fine for the ceiling but there is no way I would use it on walls. I'd do an eggshell or better yet make thin velvet covered MDF panels that are attached to the wall or ceiling.

Used the grill cloth to cover the r19.

Tacked it up to block the rear reflection. Maybe it helps maybe it doesn't.

Panels reinstalled.

Overall I think colors seem a bit richer, pop more. Could be confirmation bias. Wish I could do the side walls but it's a mixed use area. ...I am considering adding curtains on the sides in front of the side panels that can be pulled to cover the side walls. That's a future negotiation with the Mrs.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just ordered a diysoundgroup.com 88-Special to upgrade my center channel!

I had been looking at used Fusion-12's to upgrade the L and R but determined they won't fit behind the screen sure to my subs - Waf won't allow for therm to flank the screen. For those of you thinking you'll never want an upgrade, think again.

Why am I upgrading? Because I want better surrounds. Huh? Yeap, the Surrounds are the weakness. They are all in ceiling and from monoprice. Upgrading the center channel frees up a Fusion8 to go with the spare Fusion8 kit I have. I'll be moving these to surround duty.

At first they will be stand mounted and if I run into waf issues I'm developing a plan for fold-up to the ceiling side surrounds. It won't be motorized or really very fancy but it will be tasteful. I'm thinking to use gas springs and some diy engineering to allow me to pull them down for movie time and pop them up and out of the way when it's not movie time.

More too come.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts