AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curt had given me some suggestions to check for my dead Barco Data 800. One of the suggestions was to check the small fuses that were located next to the main power supply.

When I pulled out the fuses, both looked fine. However, I noticed that they were rated at 15A, 250V. I thought that seemed a bit high.

I checked in the service manual for this projector and while that is the correct fuse for the unit while running in 220V mode, it is WAY to much for the 110V operation.

So, my problem was, if the correct fuse would have been in the unit, I would have most likely only blown the fuse when the unit went bad. Now, because the fuses were rated so high, it also got to my power supply and fried that.

I have a new power supply on the way and repaired the faulty circuit on the input board where it blew with the wrong fuse in... so, hopefully, I can plug in the new power supply and it will be fine....

As long as I get the right fuses....

Anyway, Curt, your help has been appreciated. I have sent you an email to explain the situation a bit more detailed.

Scott

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
You're sort of right. THe 220V fuses should have 1/2 the amperage rating of the 110 V ones.

But yeah, 15 amps is too much. However.... those fuses don't really protect the power supply. The SMPS has a separate 3.15 amp fuse on it that protects the SMPS.

Curt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Curt!

So, do you think this input board may be faulty as well?

Anything else I can check, in your opinion?

Or, do you think the circuit blew because it had no where to go on the power supply...

Your insight astounds me...

Scott

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
No, the SMPS is about the most common failure in the set, as with many projectors. Catching the too large fuses on the AC input board was a good job on your part though..:)

Curt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.