AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm unsure whether to select a Stewart Filmscreen 100 (1.0 gain) or 150 (1.5 gain) for REAR projection use when used with an Infocus 7200 projector.

My situation:

1) home theater room is 13' x 31' and in the basement

2) lighting is completely controlled

2) 100" diagonal screen to be installed in the 13' wall.

Any opinions and basis for them will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Premium Member
25,237 Posts
The room dimensions and screen placement seem to limit the viewing angle, so you might as well go with the higher gain (assuming brighter is better).

·
Premium Member
25,237 Posts
Larry,

Just curious, why are going RP if you have light control? It takes up a lot more room and it's easier to do FP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noah:

What I didn't say in my original post was that the room was finished about 5 years ago in preparation for a media room with a RPTV. The RPTV was never bought. Falling projector prices has caused me to change my original plans from RPTV to a projector. Since the room is already built and trimmed out nicely, rear projection is preferable to me for the following reasons:

1) there is no AC in the ceiling, except for recessed can lights that can be turned off to leave the room in total darkness.

2) there are no other cables in place in the ceiling that a ceiling-mounted projector would require.

3) the ceiling is a drywall tray ceiling that I don't want to tear into.

4) rear projection for me would be much easier, and probably cheaper. The room is 13' x 31'. I can put the screen in one of the 13' walls because the area behind the screen is 13' x 20', dark, empty, and unfinished. Consequently, no need for a mirror. This allows complete freedom to move the projector up, down, left, right, forward, or backward for any kind of adjustments that may be needed.

Larry

·
Premium Member
25,237 Posts
Larry,

I'm envious! I need to do RP because of windows and skylights, but I have to steal space from my garage/workshop for it; I'm going to use 2 mirrors.

Be aware that the room the pj in has to be dark as in light absorbing (preferably black), not just dark as in unilluminated. There will be quite a bit of reflection off the back surface of the screen, and that can reflect around the space and hit the screen again, increasing black levels/reducing contrast. IOW, same problem as a light colored room with FP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noah:

Thanks for your insight. It sounds reasonable. I will certainly keep that in mind.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.