Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Is anyone using a Lexicon MC-1 processor with the Aerial SW12 sub woofer? I have this combination (along with 10t's, a CC5, and a pair of SR3's).

I would like to learn what other people have done to setup their SW12 using the MC-1. I have been trying multiple scenario's and I think I have it sounding pretty good. But I am always ready to try something new. Here is how the MC-1 is set up:

10T's and CC5 center set to large.

SR3's set to small

crossover is 80hz.

My room size is approx. 17x22 and my SW12 is currently in the right front corner of my room.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

·
Registered
344 Posts
Eric,

I do not have an Aerial sub, but I do have the MC-1. It appears you have the Aerial with an 80 hz cross yet have your mains and center to Large. You will be duplicating bass from the front speakers and the sub. The 10T's are excellent speakers, but are not truly full range in lower extension and the CC5 has a specification of 40 hz +/- 2 dB.

You may want to try a few different configurations where all the fronts are set to Small:

All 3 fronts set to 80 hz with sub at 80 hz.

All 3 fronts set to 40 hz with sub at 40 hz.

Mains at 40 hz, center at 80 hz, and sub at 40 hz.

Your bass response should be more accurate. It's difficult sometimes to think about crossing your speakers above their specifications, but the MC-1 has a 12 dB slope on crossovers, so you will have output from your speakers below the crossover area.

Andre Yew has the Aerials and had the MC-1 before upgrading to the MC-12 platform. Hopefully, he will spot this and offer his insights--he is far more knowledgable on both the Lexicon and the Aerials.

Regards,

Will

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Eric,

Will's offered you good advice. I can only emphasize the need to experiment, because bass is room-dependent, and one person's setup may work differently in another room. Don't be afraid to overlap bass as well --- I've heard some setups where this works well.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you want to use Bass Enhance. With BE, Lexicon suggests a center crossover of 120 Hz, and full-range sides. However, in practice, this can be different. It's important to reproduce bass down to 40 Hz on both sides, whether that's to the sides, fronts, or rears depends on your room. In my room, with Aerial 10Ts as fronts, BE is almost too much with the 10Ts set to 40 Hz, and the sides barely capable of 40. I also find the 120 Hz center channel setting too high for my setup (CC-3 center), and male voices too disembodied. 80 Hz works much better, and BE is still very effective.

--Andre

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.