AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into a problem. I'm trying to mount my dalite pulldown screen to the ceiling using a couple hooks screwed into the joists. After installing one

hook, I realised I don't know how to mount the second hook to keep the screen perpendicular with the projector? Did I explain that right?

I want this:

!

!

!

! ------------------- projector

!

!

!

not this:

!

..!

...! ------------ projector

.....!

.......!

........!

I don't have the projector mounted yet(that's next on the list) but I was thinking of marking a point in the middle of the room about 8 feet away from where the screen will go, then measure to the first hook to find the measurement, then using that measurement, measure to the location of the second hook. Does that sound right? Or do I take the width of the screen case, and measure out from there, then transfer the measurement for the second hook?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question. Are you saying you don't have a back wall to measure from, or that you're not mounting the screen square with the walls, so you have to measure from the projector?

One way I've heard of people doing it is with two equal length strings. (Or use one non-stretchy cord with a pencil attached and draw two arcs in the vicinity of the projector--where the lines cross is the center).

One word of advice: use a studfinder and put pieces of masking tape on the ceiling to show you where the rafters/joists are before drilling a bunch of holes. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
The optics on the projectors that I have looked at have the projector itself just above the top of the screen and yet still sends an image that is "square" without keystone correction/distortion.

It is done with lenses and not electronics, therefore there is no need to have the bottom of the screen closer to the projector than the top. The screen should be perpindicular to bubble level.

Actual position depends on the projector specs and distance from the screen. So leave yourself room and a means to adjust the verical height if at all possible as you upgrade your projector.

e.g for my NEC LT260, the distance for the lens center is 42.1 inches above vertical screen center for a 100" diagonal 4:3 screen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to get the screen square with the walls, but there's a couple reasons I'm having problems. The first is the wall that will be behind the screen has built in bookshelves with a fireplace below. Second, the room is L shaped so there's no second wall to compare it to, and finally, whoever finished off the basement before I bought the house didn't connect the sheetrock to the joists! I'm guessing by what little I can see when I squeeze my head in between a couple of headers in a closet, they must have used some 2x4 material between the sheetrock and joists to shim out the ceiling. The bad news is they wasted a heck of a lot of headroom and I have no way of knowing where the shims are at. I was able to stretch and fit my hand between the rock and the joists so that

makes it pretty damn hard to know what I'm drilling into. It looks like I may have to cut up a section of the ceiling to be safe. This sucks.

Thanks again for the help,

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.