AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there is a way to correct overscan for 1080i sources only. The correction I made, using the HSIZ and VSIZin the SM also affect 480p which was fine. Not a big deal, but I'm curious if I can adjust one without affecting the other through some other tweek in the SM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love to know the answer to this question, too. The overscan on OTA HD programming can be a problem. I think some broadcasters put text way out on the edges, thinking anyone watching HD has a plasma or LCD set, which I'm guessing don't have any overscan (or not as much). They forget about us tube-based HD viewers.

I'd also like to adjust the overscan on the MemoryStick viewer mode. It chops off the edges of my photos.

KenTech, are you out there?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunktify
I'm wondering if there is a way to correct overscan for 1080i sources only. The correction I made, using the HSIZ and VSIZin the SM also affect 480p which was fine.
I have never found one, and I have tried!. The service-data chart makes it quite plain that there is only one adjustment for HSIZ for normal viewing, the other being "widezoom." My interest was to get the width right for zoom mode so 4:3 on HD could be viewed full-screen. No way! We're stuck with all-in-one horizontal settings. Meanwhile, the vertical adjustments are flexible for APSW and ASPT for several video modes.

So it looks like we've got one width adjustment, and everything else has to be done with the vertical.

I have pared down my horiz. overscan to 4% and have little to complain about, even on HD. Does a test pattern show more than that on your set?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Look in the SM for a group of items called MID4 ... (mid 1... 2...3...4...5)

There might be some image sizing things here that are scan rate specific.

REgards

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Look in the SM for a group of items called MID4
The MID4 group does not exist for the XS955 and XBR960 CRT sets. The groups are MID1, -2, -3, and -5.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I change my horz overscan on my upscaling DVD player (1080i) using HPOS (D-2 item 1) on my component 5. Did that also effect my HDTV viewing on component 6 too? It doesn't look like this setting effects 480 sources according to the service chart.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef
I change my horz overscan on my upscaling DVD player (1080i) using HPOS (D-2 item 1) on my component 5. Did that also effect my HDTV viewing on component 6 too? It doesn't look like this setting effects 480 sources according to the service chart.
If you adjusted HPOS while hooked up to a 1080i input then it will effect HDTV content that's in 1080i as well. Anything at 480 will remain unchanged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.