AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need some advice on the best way to setup my subwoofer (SVS PB13 Ultra) for both music listening and HT duties. For music listening I use direct mode with bass management (speakers set to small and crossed over at 80hz) and for HT I simply run Audyssey and leave the settings as is.

This is how I currently setup my subwoofer:

1) Set gain on subwoofer to match speaker levels or desired level for music listening.

2) Keeping the same gain setting on the subwoofer, run audyssey for HT calibration.

3) If I want to run the subwoofer a little hotter for HT, then I can increase the subwoofer level on the AVR.

Would this be the best approach to setup my subwoofer ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi All,

I need some advice on the best way to setup my subwoofer (SVS PB13 Ultra) for both music listening and HT duties. For music listening I use direct mode with bass management (speakers set to small and crossed over at 80hz) and for HT I simply run Audyssey and leave the settings as is.
I've heard a lot of people say they do this before and, frankly, I just don't get it. The argument typically goes something like "I don't want audyssey to 'color' the sound of my music." The fact is, the room is coloring the sound of the music and Audyssey is trying to flatten the room response where possible to get you closer to the natural sound--not further from it. What version of Audyssey is it?

This is how I currently setup my subwoofer:

1) Set gain on subwoofer to match speaker levels or desired level for music listening.

2) Keeping the same gain setting on the subwoofer, run audyssey for HT calibration.

3) If I want to run the subwoofer a little hotter for HT, then I can increase the subwoofer level on the AVR.

Would this be the best approach to setup my subwoofer ?

Thanks,
Generally, yes.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Yup, "Stereo" for music for me as well. I never understood the "purists" that insist on Direct or Pure Direct mode.

1) You should set the gain on the subwoofer so that you end up with a sub trim post-Audyssey in the negative range, but not out-of-range (-12db).

2) Correct

3) Correct - or you could turn down the RLO for music if you are using Stereo + DynEQ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts