AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I do not care about the format war as there are movies on both sides that I like and want, I am considering a purchase of the upcoming new Panasonic BD player. I already own HD DVD player. However, I only have two HDMI inputs on my TV set and they are both occupied (DirecTV and the HD DVD player). Therefore, I am going to buy the monoprice manual 2X1 HDMI switch. This is the most basic HDMI switch and does not even require power. I was wondering if anybody has experienced handshake problems with this switch and the 1st generation Panasonic BD so that I can expect such problems with the new model. Should that be the case, I may have to wait until the fall when the hybrids become available. I am not concerned about the Java interactivity featers but I am very concerned about HDMI handshake problems and PQ degradation due to the switch. Any information / opinions are appreciated. My TV set is a Samsung 4692S so it is more than 1yr old (this seems like an eternity for the emerging HD standards).

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimeono /forum/post/0

Well since I do not care about the format war as there are movies on both sides that I like and want, I am considering a purchase of the upcoming new Panasonic BD player. I already own HD DVD player. However, I only have two HDMI inputs on my TV set and they are both occupied (DirecTV and the HD DVD player). Therefore, I am going to buy the monoprice manual 2X1 HDMI switch. This is the most basic HDMI switch and does not even require power. I was wondering if anybody has experienced handshake problems with this switch and the 1st generation Panasonic BD so that I can expect such problems with the new model. Should that be the case, I may have to wait until the fall when the hybrids become available. I am not concerned about the Java interactivity featers but I am very concerned about HDMI handshake problems and PQ degradation due to the switch. Any information / opinions are appreciated. My TV set is a Samsung 4692S so it is more than 1yr old (this seems like an eternity for the emerging HD standards).

I used one before going to the 5x1 remote controlled switch. I think the HDMI issues are zero. I still have the 2x1 in mint condition and will sell it to you for a good discount off new if you want to pm me with an offer. My understanding is that the issues with the 5x1 switch are due to cascaded switching chips inside. I use the 5x1 successfully with an Oppo 970, a Sony BDPS1 and a HD cable box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.