AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe that anyone has already created a thread on this topic. That seems incredible, but if they have I can't find it.

I want to read a simple article that states facts like -

The average HT costs $10,000. 15% is spent on the projector itself. 25% is spent on the speakers and speaker wiring. 20% is spent on furniture. The balance is spent on architectural changes and construction.

I made up all the figures shown in this post.

Where is the article that states -

There are 1,511,630 Home Theaters in the US. The average (mean) cost is $23,000. The median cost is $11,000. The SD is $4,600.

Currently there are 16,760,000 front projectors in use. 88% of the market by numbers and 72% of the market by value are business projectors.

73% of the HT projectors sold for under $1,500 use DLPs. 24% use LCDs. The balance use LCoS.

A typical HT projector owner changes his projector after 2.4 years. The typical HT owner changes his bulb after 1830 hours.

An analysis if the transition matrix shows that front projection owners are very unlikely to ever switch back to a flat screen TV.

41% of all HT owners had their theater built by a contractor. The balance built it themselves. Contractor built theaters took 6.2 weeks to finish. DIY theaters took 1.3 years.

The average HT front projector screen is 104" diagonally. 86% of such screens are 16:9. 10% are 4:3 and the balance are wide screen (2.20 or greater).

The average size of a HT in the US is 18.6' by 14.3' with ceilings of 7.8'. Converted bedrooms are seen in 73% of all HTs and 14% garages.

I could go on like this. The point is that even after reading this forum and two other sites almost everyday for at least three years, I don't know dick.

Why is that?

·
Registered
614 Posts
No one has collected the data - that's a costly proposition.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm sure a few of the projector companies have done surveys to find out what 'businesses' want since that is most likely the majority of their business, but I doubt HT is a large enough segment at this point for general consumers to warrant any general studies.

That said, if you spend months reading this forum alone, I think a few of your questions can be fairly accurately guessed at,

1. There is no 'average' cost to HT as it can range from the basic cost of 'whatever choices you make for a projector, screen, BR/DVD player and sound system' which someone on a budget could do for under a $1,000 (low end equipment, home made screen or just a wall) to the 'the sky's the limit' on building a fancy dedicated room/building. If you live in a house without the need to worry about the noise, why would you build a sound-proof room? HT rooms imo are no different than any other parts of someone's house. Do they go for expensive deco/custom work/custom cabinets or is beige paint in all rooms considered 'clean and decent looking'
My wife would actually let me paint the living room with flat black if I wanted since she loves the projector. I doubt the majority of spouses would go for it. And no, I didn't paint it flat black as that is too extreme for me but I do have black curtains pinned to the ceiling to knock down reflections but they are easily removed. In short, it will always be more about your personal life style choices and financial capabilities than 'what is best'. If I had to guess, the vast majority do NOT have a custom dedicated HT room. It's a shared room they use for multiple purposes.

2. What type of display would also not be very useful information since price and the differences people have in seeing rainbows (DLP) has more effect on their choice than what is better. Let's not forget, the mass market will also go with the lowest cost and 'what they think is a good image' than actually buying solely on technical reviews. Personally, after reading this forum, I think a majority in here look for enough others that have the equipment saying they like it to make their choice. Word-of-mouth Marketing at it's best

3. Bulb life seems seems a reasonable constant for most projectors where the majority seem to have to change out in 1,500-3,000 hours depending on the projector.

4. I think it's pretty safe to say just reading this forum that the large majority of people that get a projector do not switch back to a regular display. It would be a safer bet to say, once you go HT, you'll be more likely to watch for the next great thing to make it even better than it is.

5. My view after months of reading, the most common size screen is in the 110-119 diagonal range. That is going to change as more projectors start offering high lumen outputs with good color as most people still want bigger (assuming their room is long enough).

6. I tried to figure out what was the 'ultimate' room size but finally decided 'it depends on too many variables'. Is it just for 2 people? Then why would you need a 16' wide room. I think sound design is a larger factor in what size you choose if that is something you need perfection in. My opinion is a majority in here target 11-15' as their closest seating position and most rooms are at least 11' wide.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in this information except you want to fit into the 'average' but the only way to find out what you want is to buy a projector and play around. The only 'right' answer is what works for you.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
What happened to the article on the one site where they visited Epson this summer (IIRC). It talked about how Epson is the the market share leader, I think LCD was over 50% of the market, and the total HT projector market was under 100k units/year.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB /forum/post/18216715

I don't believe that anyone has already created a thread on this topic. That seems incredible, but if they have I can't find it.

I want to read a simple article that states facts like -

The average HT costs $10,000. 15% is spent on the projector itself. 25% is spent on the speakers and speaker wiring. 20% is spent on furniture. The balance is spent on architectural changes and construction.

I made up all the figures shown in this post.

Where is the article that states -

There are 1,511,630 Home Theaters in the US. The average (mean) cost is $23,000. The median cost is $11,000. The SD is $4,600.

Currently there are 16,760,000 front projectors in use. 88% of the market by numbers and 72% of the market by value are business projectors.

73% of the HT projectors sold for under $1,500 use DLPs. 24% use LCDs. The balance use LCoS.

A typical HT projector owner changes his projector after 2.4 years. The typical HT owner changes his bulb after 1830 hours.

An analysis if the transition matrix shows that front projection owners are very unlikely to ever switch back to a flat screen TV.

41% of all HT owners had their theater built by a contractor. The balance built it themselves. Contractor built theaters took 6.2 weeks to finish. DIY theaters took 1.3 years.

The average HT front projector screen is 104" diagonally. 86% of such screens are 16:9. 10% are 4:3 and the balance are wide screen (2.20 or greater).

The average size of a HT in the US is 18.6' by 14.3' with ceilings of 7.8'. Converted bedrooms are seen in 73% of all HTs and 14% garages.

I could go on like this. The point is that even after reading this forum and two other sites almost everyday for at least three years, I don't know dick.

Why is that?

First off, it's not that simple. Secondly, there is no real way to compare room to room (person to person). Even if you average things, that average could change daily as each person adds variances to the equation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts